Outahere!
Day #11. Total WBC up to 12,700, ANC 10,173! The team just rounded and said they're letting me go home! At least three days ahead of schedule, not bad. Appetite's doing better, sleeping better, HCT's up to 28, feeling stronger.
Probably won't be actually out the door 'til this afternoon. I have to get prescriptions, supplies, and attend a "Discharge Class" at 10:30AM.
So I can say I've made it through the transplant with flying colors!
The next hurdle is avoiding Graft vs. Host Disease (GVHD). That would involve my sister's immune system attacking my body as "foreign". The risk for acute GVHD stretches out to 3 months post transplant, and the risk of chronic GVHD is "forever" but at least begins to diminish significantly after 1-2 years. Nobody really knows what triggers GVHD, and they even say that "a little" is good, in terms of assuring good graft vs Myeloma activity (in the unlikely event there are any of those cells still around!).
Also, even though my WBC is back to normal I'm still at risk for infections due to being on Immunosuppression with Cyclosporine (to prevent my rejection of Nancy's cells and to prevent GVHD), and the pre transplant chemo wiped all my previous immunities (from prior illnesses, vaccines, etc.). They usually will start to decrease the cyclosporine at day 100, but I can't start getting revaccinated until one year out.
So we're through the most critical phase, probably Myeloma free, there are more challenges ahead...but I'm ready!
Phil

13 Comments:
YEEEEEEEEE HAW!!!!!!
You are tooooooo awesome...
we're gonna come by tomorrow to say bye bye to you, the room and help you pack up... 9:30 ish? sounds like we should be able to toot the YO OUTAHEYA Horns with ya..
Davids takin the credit .. he says he came down here to see a sick guy and ** zap*** he's well... you know, he does have those Special Family connections.....
WOW!!!!!!! PHlancy..you're incredible. It must have been that superman costume that got you thru this.
love your NY cuzin,
susan
Nuestra casa es su casa!
Welcome home, Phil.
Sharon and Peter
(We are going to try camping out on the lake tonight.)
We are thrilled for you and MC. Can't wait to see you back home here in Sandpoint. When should we expect to see you here? I will relay the GREAT news with all of the staff. See ya soon,
Love ya bunches, Tom and Kris Sabo
Hi there Phil and MC, Great news! In many ways it doesn't surprise me a bit that you are ahead of schedule and running on all 90 horse. Keep on charging ahead. We're sending our love and healing thoughts your way. Love, Pat and Gary
Way to go, guys! GVHD doesn't stand a chance with you, Phil.....
Enjoy your liberation and re-entry. Ride easy.
Love, Julia
Does eating chanx cause GVHD?
Hi Phil & MC:
Great news! I'm sure you're happy to get out of there. Don't worry about vaccines, I had mine checked before getting them and found all I needed was one polio strain and it was possible that it hadn't taken fully when I was a child. Maybe I got the immunities from my brother since we had all the child hood things together?
Keep up the good work and I love checking your blog.
Karen & George
Phil & MC
Sure is sounding great--we'll keep on sending good thoughts your way.
Sandy G
First of all,WAY TO GO Phil, you truly are an inspiration for the value of positive outlook and never never never give up or into adversity. Getting out of that hospital will make you better no matter what.
Mary Catherine, what a happy birthday present for you, so see the man you love respond and improve. Your selfless giving and care are just so wonderful. Please accept our warmest thoughts and wishes for this special never-to-be-forgotten birthday.
Now the work will REALLY begin, trying to get Phil to take care of himself to aid Nancy's stem cells do their job. Wow, you have to get chicken pox and polio and all those icky childhood vaccines without benefit of lollypop and ice cream? Oh, I know, ask for chocolate!
love, Betsy and Dale
Yippee Skippee!!!
What else is there to say!!! So happy for you!!!
I keep prayin' and sending thoughs positive vibs your way!!!
Take care of you...
Love, light and laughter..
Lane :)
Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive,
it's a bird! No!..it's a plane! NO!...it's a guy running, I mean swimming, I-I mean cycling toward the best "Chocolatier" in the city----it's Supermaa...NO WAIT!! IT'S
"PHILANCY-MAN!" ...and there's a cute, crazy lady on his tail yelling "Wait for me!...Slow down for 5 minutes!...You need your reeeeessssttt!!
Congratulations Phil! That's fantastic news!! Keep on doing what makes you feel good!--But remember to take a breather once in a while! Hee..hee
Nancy definately makes a pretty mean marrow-martini! Oh-yeah!!! THANKS NANCY!
And a toast to you Mary Catherine for your ability to be an absolute ROCK through the toughest of times! (not to mention a darn swell seester!)
All my love, hugs, kisses and good wishes! Bonnie
Greetings Phil and MC,
Thank you so much for the Blog. It almost feels like you are home, and, as always, you are taking in everything that an environment and culture can offer, regardless of place.
Phil, I am so happy that you are feeling better and on the mend. We need you back here. There is a hole in Sandpoint without you and MC. You would appreciate the weather in Sandpoint area after DC. Perfect Indian Summer days now, except it is August and we have already experienced 35 degree evenings. The weather is mishugenah (did I get that right?)
MC - you are missing nothing in the garden. Nature is not dating and mating this year as most of the squash family throughout the neighborhood came up male this year. The crops are suffering from inconsistent temps, sporatic but intense rains, and winds, mixed with perfectly brilliant, sunshiney, beautiful, Summer "whether" [AKA Idaho weather]. The Farmers market in Hope shut down in August.
The golf course at Hidden Lakes is being partially redesigned by Jack Nicholas. Thought you would really be intrested in that tidbit.
We have a coupla new restaurants here. Remember the big, grungy Chinese restaurant across the street kitty corner from the Panida? It is a hugh glorified upscale (very) steak house, although the $50 steaks have come down in price. I have never been there and will likely never find a good enough reason to try out the fare. East Hope has a new market and cafe next to the post office. The music and literary/arts entertainment promises to be top drawer at the cafe as the program develops. Clark Fork has a small, fine dining in jeans spot called the Bee Top. Very sweet. Dock of the Bay continues with a second great season and a place to watch the moose swim across Ellisport Bay. They look like floating TV sets - all rectangle faces with big earred antenna sticking up.
The deer and bears have already begun to come down from the mountains into the Hope area. I spotted a bear in my lower yard last week. Have to watch the plums and harvest before they do. I will dry a bunch for you for your return to the land of lake and beauty.
Well, that's the news from Lake WaveRunnerBeGone.
Much Love, Marsha
Post a Comment
<< Home