Saturday, July 23, 2005

Up, Up and away!

Day #9: Nancy's overachieving stem cells continue to perform flawlessly. Today my total WBC (white blood cell count)is 858 and the ANC (absolute neutrophil count) 381, both up by a factor of 4! At this rate I should hit the magic ANC of 1000 by tomorrow or certainly by Monday. Once above 1000, my risk for opportunistic infection is low enough to start thinking about discharge from the hospital! The other criteria is to be on all medications by mouth. Of my current six, I'm already down to only 2 by IV. HCT (red blood cell count) is up to 24.9., and my appetite is significantly better, things are actually beginning to taste somewhat normal.
Lorna and David came down from NYC yesterday with a cheese cake smothered in berrries for MC's birthday. They also took her out for Indian food last evening. I'm looking forward to some of the leftovers for lunch today! Thank you so much L&D.
With things here rapidly improving, you may expect these blogs to start to decrease in frequency. No news IS good news.

Phil

9 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic, Phil! But if you leave the hospital before Sunday, you'll miss the end of the Tour de France...

Mary Catherine, how was your birthday? You must have gotten Daddy's curry genes. I certainly didn't.

So when did you initially hope to get out of the hospital? And has that changed? And do you still have to stay in the area until October, did you say? Where are you staying now, Mary Catherine? (I know where Phil is.) Has the weather simmered down there? Be glad you don't live in Denver anymore, sounds like their heat wave is pretty intense. Phil, how long/far do you do the bike?

Nice to hear your nice progress. Amazing.

Love from Elizabeth, Mark and Jeremy

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Lane said...

That is wonderful news!!! Overachieving must run in the family!!! All of those question in the response from Elizabeth,Mark and Jeremy are great questions. Let me know when you two get back to Idaho and feel like a visit. I have a friend who has said she would love to fly to Sandpoint and go to lunch..... (of course I include eating!!) Anyway, I am so happy you are doing so well.

Continue on!!

Love, light and laughter...
Lane :)

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil and MC,

If "no news is good news" then here's to not hearing from you anytime soon! Way to go buddy on the counts. You must be off the charts for this protocol.

We'll salute you when Lance crosses the line.

Kathy and Phil Austin

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great news! Looks like you and Nancy have done it!! And of course, "kudo's" to Mary Catherine!
Hali & Rick

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, Phil! Keep up the good numbers. We thank God for his blessings. Can hardly look at Lance or Scott without thinking of you and your determination, gusto and discipline--can we have some? Hi to marvelous MC too. Love you guys--stay the course! Love, Barb and Tom

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil and MC,
Sounds like you are handling this in style. Bobbi and I are thinking about you.
Tim
email twalker162@cableone.net

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To all the Phans of Phil and Phans2Be of Philancy -- I wish you could see him... It is truly amazing -- inspirational .. So like Lance -- determined, strong strong strong and super positive attitude.. Even the little bratty (and ***sigh *** oh so IMperfect OTHER sister) has to confess..he is awesome...

-Lorna (aka Da Brat)

PS Oh yes, and since I am the brat I get to tattle about the cuteness... Phils hair is coming back in and it is reddish brown FUZZ, sticking straight out -- like a furry tennis ball -- SO CUTE... (tee hee)

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Phil and MC:
Dave and I are delighted to hear the good news of improving WBC counts! Hopefully the appetite is also coming back as we members of The Big Valley Gluttons and Drunks are expecting you both to attend future dinners-in costume please! A belated Happy Birthday to MC and hugs to you both.
Much love-the Roens

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timmay says he's glad you've joined the ranks of those who wear their underwear on the outside. (Not that being like Timmay should ever be on your list of priorities.)

What great and wonderful news about your "release" - not that there were any doubts whatsoever!!!

Hugs, kisses and garlic breath!
T&K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home