Da Brewery?
MC here,
Phil is resting today after getting "a Workup" for a little raise in his temperature yesterday accompanied by chills. It's hard to tell the difference between a freezing cold room and other kinds of chills. You have to understand it's "over-tropical" here which has the effect of keeping the outside windows covered with heavy steam you can't see through. Along with that it's rather HOT! So America's answer to that is to cool off every building people inhabit until they have to wear long pants and sleeves. People here actually seem to dress for the inside environment. I saw them wearing sweatshirts yesterday during my walk after which had me ringing out my tee shirt when I got back to the house. It's like working out in the steam room at the club. So here I sit with long pants on and a long sleeved tee with Phil wearing his sweatshirt so when he needed an extra blanket yesterday I retrieved one from the warmer and put it close to his body, covered him up and he soon started snoring. I knew things where a little wrong when his body started shaking while snoring. So they did all the usual fever workup including blood cultures, xrays, antibiotics, etc and found his temperature had subsided (it had been 101.3F)after awhile. He felt better and was a bit warmer. The docs today said one of the culture bottles showed a yeast growing. So more tests will show where it might be coming from. For those non-medical people he now has only 7 instead of about 3000 cells that fight infections (per milliliter of blood) and about half the normal amount of red cells that carry oxygen to all the cells in the body and his platelets are about 1/5th of normal. Platelets help your blood clot when you bleed. Got it? These will continue to drop another 4-6 days. Then we wait until his cells start to come up in 10-14 days. That's the short version.
Phil is eating about 1 1/2 meals/day, still getting "food in a tube". He labels them after different ice creams BUT is starting to think of other things he could maybe order in like a meatball sub or a mild Thai dish. This is going to be a new fun game I can tell.
He gets to try a different drug today for anti-yeast. Says he likes "trying new things everyday". Ha ha. So a rest day for Lance and Phil although he's already pedaled in his room to move the accumulated bit of fluids in his legs he thinks is there from not moving. Why else? Rest on.

6 Comments:
Hi Phil and Mary Catherine, we are sending good thoughts your way! We were out of town for awhile but have now caught up on your blog. I can just picture you in your Superman suit and on the bike! What a great vision. Here's to rising counts (the good ones) and feeling normal again. It will happen! Love to you both, Pat and Gary
Keep the updates coming. Hoping that tomorrow we read only good things. Sorry that my stem cells are not helping you with this part. However ..like I said they need to Adjust Big Time.
Readers: I just spoke to Philip and he says that in spite of this yeast thing he feels pretty comfortable except when he gets chills.
Hey Phil: Have them bring you those nice heated blankets. Then you can pretend you're on a trans Atlantic cruise like I did when I was there. (Although, I've never been on a cruise so what do I know!).
I'll be there soon to whip those stem cells into shape and to stock your house with chocolate.
love you
Nancy
Hi Phil - Pat and I think of you all the time, and talk about you a lot. All postitive things, of course. Dave And Pat Roen
Be strong and steady, Phil. And patient. It took George Hincapie seven Tours to win his first Stage. Life comes to those who persevere.
Phil; This is Steve Hornbeck dropping you a line from SJRMC on Lane's tab. Being the anti-techno-guy, don't have a site of my own.
Paula and I send you our best and from your postings it's clear you and M.C. are doing your best to give all the staff back East yours!
No surprise that you're kickin' with both feet to get this thing in the ass. We too will be missing our stint on the lower Salmon this year as Paula took a big hit on Coeur d'alene Lake; Fx ribs#4,5,6,7,8 and possibly more. Chest tube,epidural,thoracentesis,
cvp. Almost forgot to mention left radius and ulna fx's. 3wk hospital-
ization; home now. Will be a long
recovery. Forced time-out to re-evaluate priorities, so not all bad! She was able to make the trip to Hamilton,Mt. for Tom Urquhart's
father's 90Th birthday party. Became a focal point in her recovery. We all think of you, speak of you and send our best wishes. There's always a shady spot
on our deck and a frosty beverage when you're ready to take a much deserved sit! KEEP KICKIN' IT !
Hello its really me Lane this time. Not much new to say really. It has been very hot here, the usual 100 degrees. Our place out in Lapwai is being over run by grasshoppers and earwigs... I had to buy some stuff for the tomatos and squash so that they would stop eating them!!! My peppers are all but little twigs with no leaves, and a couple of little peppers trying to grow. Horses and dogs tolerating the heat well and so far the pigs are ok. (Madison has a 4-H pig and we got a bummer pig for Christmas dinner!!!)Actually there are 4 pigs, Jeff's sister and brother have one too.
Both of the younger kids have their license to drive now. Madison is working at the Aquatic center as an aid and swim instructor.
Well enough about me and mine.
You take care keep on fightin' the good fight. Let ole' Nancy take over and fill in for you. Thanks Mary Catherine for the updates. Take care of you two!!!
Love,light and laughter..
Lane : )
Post a Comment
<< Home