Tuesday, July 12, 2005

DAY -2

Two days to go. Nausea seems to have won the battle armed with vomiting. Even though they had lots in their regimen, none of the drugs he took to prevent it did the trick. So with his red cell count going down the guy in the bed was pretty pale this morning and not able to move much so he opted for one anti-emetic that made him sleep through most of the day and this afternoon another they will probably do the same. Forget about eating, it's called Food in a Tube (TPN), the Phil in transition starting at 6pm tonight. No it's probably not chocolate. With Nancification (Karen coined that term) coming soon we're hoping it doesn't take long for the N & V to subside.

Thanks for all the positive thoughts. I read them to Phil this morning. I'll repeat them when he's a bit more alert. He'd like to be up and around but it just didn't quite happen today. Sleep tight.

20 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings! Just wanted you to know how much we are thinking of you... sending lots of love and prayers!! AND... the pharmacy girls -- also -- wanted you to know that they miss you and send their love and support!

Steve & Mauria

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle Phil! I wanted to tell you again how great it was to see you guys the other weekend. I wish we could have visited longer. That sing-a-long is something that definitely needs repeating. Perhaps on your way back to Idaho? I'll get my Dad to study up on his old songs so he can get all the way through them. By then I'm sure you'll be smokin' on that guitar of yours. It sounds like you're having a rough time, to say the least. We think about you and pray for you a lot here, and hope for a speedy recovery. I look forward to seeing you after you're nancified. Good luck and we love you.
Abrazos,
Jessica

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil, I am not to good at cards, letters or calls even, but I have been saying lots of prayers. I can't imagine what you are going through 'Philancy'. You seem to be at everyone's mercy so just sit in the right seat and get the full view. Healing is both physical and spiritual and recovery all the more faster with a copy of 'far side' and prayers on the table. I'd jumpseat out to visit but I am grounded until my new eardrum can take the pressure of flying. Still thinking about you, Nancy and Mary Catherine...
You're in my prayers!GET WELL FAST!
Peggy and Celina

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ode to N&V

A disciple came to his master and asked, " it is terribly hot, and how shall we escape the heat?" And at once the answer came, "Let us go down to the bottom of the furnace." So the perplexed disciple asked again, "But in the furnace how shall we escape the scorching fire?" To which he recieved the surprising reply, "There, no further pains will harass you."

Namaste,
your friend always, Marsha

Thank you MC for sharing this web address with me.

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil, read your blog - you are so brave! What you've been through so much already and done so well. I know you will do well in this last treatment too. I think of you often and you're in my prayers. Hang in there. We miss you but know you'll be back in just a few months.
Sharon Beeman

 
At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil, Your strength and determination are inspiring. I love reading your blog - it's a first for me. Thank you and MC for sharing your experience. I'll toast a cool refreshing Pinot Gris with Julie while we read the blog tomorrow.We are thinking about you a lot and sending our healing love.
Love, Steve, Julie and our boys

 
At 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds worse than the worst case of seasickness, Phil. Here's to a safe landing, off that nauseous sea.

Per called this morning from Yosemite. He's walked over 900 miles and sends his love and best wishes from the trail. Tom called tonight from Nanaimo and I gave him the Phil report and he also sends love. Arnica, home from Dock of the Bay, sends hopes for a good, good recovery.

I say to your bones: accept, accept!

Love, Karen

 
At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is The Nancy here. You are soooooooooooooo brave. Remember my advice to "milk it for all its worth". Just lie there like the Prince of a Man that you are and let EVERYONE wait on you hand and foot.
It's ok to do that for at least 2 weeks.. If you are going to be nancified you need to practice.. Once you get my stem cells this will come easier...remember the nancy code of rules for living

(1) A Nancy never lets someone know she can do something if they offer to do it for her.

(2) A nancy does not need challenges. Taking the easy way out is just fine. It is enough to Be A Nancy.

(3) A Nancy loves when people tell her what to do and is always ready to do them.

love you
nancy

 
At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim Fisher here.

Thanks for the updates, which arrive here shortly before Cindy and I leave for a week in the Frank Church, driving the grandfathered road up Beaver Creek to Pinyon Peak and the Lost Packer Mine, and then down the Yankee Fork. We're driving because Cindy is still recovering from severe plantar fasciitis, and saving herself for a week in the Canadian Rockies in August.

Phil, it is hard to imagine you with aversions to food, although not some other things. Nevertheless, we will raise more than one glass to your health in the Idaho wilderness next week.

 
At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil,

As cycling maniac/cancer survivor Lance Armstrong now faces the many climbs of the Alps and the Pyrenees you too have your challenges ahead. You are every the winner Armstrong is and I look forward to doing some riding next Spring with you back here in Sandpoint. Our prayers are with you. Matt & Mauria

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Lane said...

After reading all of the above I can't imagine I have anything different to say. You have always been and inspiration and a hero to me. I wish I could do more. I am sending good vibs and prayers your way... Keep on keepin on...

I know is sounds strange.. but sometimes sniffing on an alcohol swap makes the nausea less....

Thanks MC for your strength and courage through it all.

Nancy, I love your rules for life... I hope your brother can learn at least a little of the Nancy way of life!!!

Love,light and laughter...
Lane

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Phil and MC

Thinking of you day and night and day and night.. Wish I could have stayed to lend my support, but I am sure you can feel all the love rushing to you from everyone.

Masha felt that you had a very good point about your rights to the focal point. She is just sleeping alot and sends her love too. (as does David)

love and hugs....
The Brat

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Phil and Mary Catherine.

John and I have been wondering what was happening and what your progress has been. The blog is a great idea and I now feel caught up on your incredible journey. Battle on Phil with grace and strength. Mary Catherine, you are his rock and he needs you more than ever. We love you both and we appreciate being part of the loop on Phil's progress. We look forward to future good times when his good health and spirits return.

Sondra

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Phil and MC,
Dale and I are in countdown with you, ready for your blastoff to nancification. The Gluttons and Drunks will plan a chocolate party for you when the V&N abate to fatten you up again. If love, prayers, and oceans of positive karma count for anything, I know you will sail through the rest of this nasty process and be back in your running shoes soon.

I loved the diorama idea. Mary Lou had this great idea for a video with Dale, Ken, and Dave dressed up in white sheets and capes as stem cell avengers looking to slay the evil lymphocytes (portrayed by red water balloons). I think we would do anything to try and bring you a smile, Phil. We owe you so many.

Consider yourself hugged.

love, Betsy and Dale

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,
I was very sad to hear that the nausea got to you to the extent of vomitting. I'm sure that was extremely unpleasant. I find it incredible you managed to eat solid food for as long as you did with such nausea. My mum told me about how you tried to eat despite your nausea.
I hope that you do not experience anymore vomiting, and that you feel the best you can given the current circumstances. I've heard about your incredible strength through this all and I am in complete awe.How you have dealt with so much is far past incredible. I admire your strength through this all greatly.
Mom also told me that you said for me to get better soon because I was stealing your thunder. I thought this was very funny. I also found it amazing that your sense of humor has survived through this all (Mum also told me about how you said the IV pole needed to be taken for walk because it was too skinny).
I hope that your remarkable srength persists through the next set of trying circumstances...
Loads and loads of love and support,
Masha
P.s. I'll try to stop stealing your thunder a.s.a.p.! Te he.

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be dedicating my next few flights in the twin to you, buddy, and looking forward to the near day we'll be PIC/SIC once again.

love
george

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi MC:
Thanks for doing the blog and hope you are holding up, it's not easy being you right now. Phil is in the hands of the poison gods right now and all we can do is wait.
Has he tried a drug called Zofran(sp)? It was the only thing that helped my nausa/vomitting. It was new 14 years ago and I don't know if it still exists. Hang in there, and trust me, it's alot harder to watch someone go through this than it is to go through it oneself.
Karen & George, (back east)

 
At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My visualization beginning on Bastille Day: Fleets of Fire Engine red Mac trucks racing through your blood stream knocking out cancer cells. Bash! Whack! Off with their heads! Closely followed by flocks of birds swooping in, cleaning up the road kill, leaving the the roads slick as a whistle.
Go Nancification!
Mary Lou F.

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, dear Phil--tomorrow will be Nancilicious!!! Three, two, one and blast off! Tom and I send our love and prayers and know that you will do your best to let your Sis take over. What an incredible family you have--MC, Nancy, Lorna, your amazing parents, your fabulous children, your devoted friends, fans, patients, cohorts, your extended family, and even your lively grandnephews! And imagine--the Lord loves you more than all of us put together! That's awesome. Love, Tom & Barbara

 
At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Phil,

Don't you think that this low blood count thawng is taking minimalism a bit too far? Really! I trust you are recycling the nervy dropouts.

Keep practicing your guitar so I can play my new electric bass with you when you when you return to the "Sand"box. I am practicing like mad, but, at my age, that doesn't count for much. I have a neat little computer program that slows down a CD so you can learn the music reeeeeaaaaaallllly sloooowly. The bass lines for the songs can be pulled off the Internet -- and voila! all you need are good fingers and some rhythm, and I'm not talking about birth control, which definitely will not enhance your musical skills.

Be superman, always, but be a Nancy too.

Much love,
Marsha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home