The Last Chemo
Day 4 of the transplant chemo, the last day of chemo for me...forever! Hopefully, I can expect to start to feel a little better every day in terms of the nausea and "punyness", but my counts will be still on the downslope until Nancy's stem cells kick in.. sometime around 7-10 days after I get her cells this Thursday the 14th, Bastille Day (still looking for some French flags). Thanks for all the positive vibes good thoughts and prayers.
Phil
MC Here...
Phil's nurse had never had a request from a patient to wait until he went running first before she started the transplant chemo. She said that was a first. He's not allowed to run for a while, just walk around certain areas with a mask on until his counts come up and he can tolerate it. He mentioned he'd "rather do strenuous exercise than do sick" but is glad for once he's inside and not out in the DC humidity and heat. His main challenge is, of all things, eating. For a guy who lives to eat, that's a big change. No chocolate even, except an occasional milkshake which he never knows if it will sit well. Nausea with a big N but thank goodness no V keeps him feeling puny and really down the first day or two. Then there's the medicines to counteract the toxic effect of the toxic effects of the other drugs and of course the chemo. Almost over. His favorite (NOT) is getting lasix to keep him peeing and up all night every hour. Focusing on anything for very long is a problem as he likes being totally alert so he tries to keep reading, or listening to music instead of doing the flight simulatoe or playing his guitar. His spirits are better then the first couple of days due to seeing the end in sight.
My challenges have been not taking a wrong turn on streets that NEVER go straight (I'm walking) and it's impossible to go around a "block" in this neighborhood near NIH (National Institutes of Health; getting the computer in the room to work,, sorry about that, hence no blogs for a few days. The computer person was nowhere for 4 days; and sending any mail from the house where I'm staying. I think I fixed that one. Now figuring out how to get the laptop to connect in his room is still an unsolved mystery......dialing rules lesson #5. Phil didn't really feel like typing for a while. I'm behind on emails as well but am working on that. Ah yes, a little heat on the back from the backpack after I arrive here and at the house. And now we wait for Nancy's cells to be infused Thursday.

5 Comments:
So I guess the road to the "reconception" is pretty damn rocky.... wish we could take some of the twists, turns, bumps and carsickness for you! (I've been keeping the day's date more in mind than usual - always thinking "is he there yet?".)
I'm sure you'll feel our tremendous collective sigh of relief once those cells get into you, and then an enormous ongoing wave of a cheer - something like:
Hey hey, ho ho,
Watch those lymphocytes go go go.
Ok, something like that. I'm sure some of my fellow blog respondents can do better. (Though I'm betting none of us were actual cheerleaders, maybe a few more cheers can be recalled.)
I guess "push 'em back, push 'em back" applies, too.
Enough. Love and victory - Julia
Dear Phil and MC,
It all sounds like another world, Phil walking in restricted areas in a huge hospital with a mask on and MC not able to walk around the block. Thank goodness for the tourdephil blog so we can stay "with" you.
I'll be on the road on Thursday when the nancification occurs. On my way to Port Townsend. I'll think about you as I head west and further away. Then I'll get to Fort Worden and send you battleground strength.
Love, Karen
Well, at least this whole experience is interesting for the rest of us! I hope you all are bearing up, and I suspect you are. You are in my thoughts.
David Whitcomb
Hi Phil and MC,
Finally found your web address and "caught up" with your most recent trials and trip. Sounds like the worst is over and should be downhill, or at least a plateau for awhile.
I'm trying to picture Phil not eating and I can't quite. Phil, think how much fun (aka chocolate) you can have gaining back any weight you lose! And, with MC's cooking it shouldn't take long.
We are there with you in thought - both of you - as Thursday approaches and then recedes...happily.
Kathy and Mike Harrington
Phil, Never used a blog before - hope it works. "P"-day (Phil day) is fast approaching. And Kathy and I will have you in our thoughts and prayers. Not eating is certainly ATYPICAL for you and NOT eating chocolate -- well I just can't imagine that!! But it doesn't go bad so save what you have or what you get because you can put it to good use later. If you get too much you have my address (: Look forward to following your progress and recovery on this blog. MIKE
Post a Comment
<< Home