Friday, July 08, 2005

Transplant Chemo

Had my fifth bone marrow yesterday. The regular guy who's really good at them was on vacation - the substitute was very apologetic for the three attempts it took her.Admitted last evening for IV hydration over night. They unhooked me this morning so I could get my skeletal survey (x-ray) and PFT's, completing my re-staging work-up.So before they could hook me up to start the transplant chemo, I took off for one more run outside. Felt pretty good despite the heat and my low hematocrit. Lorna arrived yesterday with the 30 foot long diorama she'd made. It is now taped up on my wall. It's quite a masterpiece, showing Nancy's stem cells arriving in my bone marrow,and buffing up, while her killer T -lymphocytes wipe out the remaining myeloma cells. At the end of it I'm morphed into a half Phil half Nancy creature - "Philancy".
Spent this afternoon getting the first day of Fludarabine and Cytoxan, the latter at eight times the dose I received during my 5 rounds of induction chemo. Three more days of this stuff, then I get to "rest" for 2 days before the actual stem cell transplant. Tolerating the nausea, headache, fatigue. I'm not much fun company for MC and Lorna.
Many thanks to all of you who have written comments and sent love and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

6 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ow! Not that anyone expected a picnic, but those three attempts were definitely not in the program! Sorry. I imagine that with all that chemo coursing through your system, you will be pretty much unavailable for awhile, and MC will be taking over on the updates. Hope you're able to practice what you learned on the retreat. Let the body do its thing while your soul engages in a holding pattern somewhere outside it. And know that we're all "holding" you in our hearts. Love, Julia

 
At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Phil,

I love the story of the diorama! But I hope you won't resemble our friend Robyn when you return. Keep Nancy well inside, OK?

I'm glad you got to eat so many good things before this batch of chemo started--the blueberry pie and the Fourth of July food. ANd also, that you got out for a run. Is this running on sidewalks and waiting for traffic lights or in a park or where?

Here it's threatening rain, very heavy in the air and clouded. I hope it dumps but I doubt it since it hasn't started yet. I rode my bike over to Safeway this afternoon and was surprised at the traffic in town. Summertime. Karen Lemley is having her son Stefan's rehearsal dinner in our back yard (Val is catering) while I'm in Port Townsend and Tom is still sailing in the Gulf Islands. So I'm trying to make the yard look somewhat pretty in a funky way. Not my year for gardening.

I'm off to Fernie on Sunday. Jon and I are going to climb Three Sisters to leave Christine's ashes up there. I hope i'm in good enough shape to do it. I borrowed Myles's hiking poles to help my knees on the long descent. On Thursday I'm off to Pt T for ten days but I think I'll be able to find a computer to check your blog.

Love from Lake Street, Karen (and Tom...I read him the latest tourdephil episode just now when he called from Nanaimo.)

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Philip,
Wondered how today went. Sounds like you negotiated your way out of the hospital for a few more hours even on day 2!Good for you. Can't wait to see the diarama. Especially since i'm being featured.. hope you like my stem cells and lymphcytes.. If you have trouble with your new identity you'll know who to consult

Thinking of you,
Love
The sister with the purrrrrrrfect immune system...

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Phil,

Hola from your fans in SP. Phil just returned from a 4-day boys only sailing trip to Johnson Creek and the Clark Fork delta. I delivered kayaks to them on Saturday, paddling one and towing a balky second one that tugged and pulled at its tether like a skittish horse. Heard a startling rythmic grunting noise in the underbrush surrounding a back eddy. It sounded like a cross between a choking heron and a squashed bullfrog.....but on the outside chance that it was the huffing of a miffed momma moose with a baby I clumsily paddle-waddled my kayak barge to the other side of the channel. Karen said that she and Tom have heard the same noise. I think we could start a legend of the local Swamp Thang monster.

Looking forward to paddling, and monster-seeking, with you and MC in the fall.

Feel our arms around you both. Thinking of you with fiercely positive thoughts. Take no prisoners.

Love,

Kathy and Phil Austin

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil:
Sorry to hear your last BM biopsy did not go well, have you tried verset(sp) and demerol? You should know about those.
But I'm glad to hear that you can still slip out and enjoy yourself. Don't be discouraged if you lose interest in even reading & writing by day 5, it's only temporary. You may develop other interests like watching cooking shows on TV all day long, even though you haven't eaten a thing in days.
Keep the faith (whatever that means for you) because it's only a matter of time when this event will become a memory. Your "old" friends back east, Karen & George

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Lane said...

Hi there !!! So glad to have a way to say hello and stay strong!! I was in Sandpoint the other day and called the house, you weren't there!!!! I am so glad that you are feeling somewhat human and able to remain active!! God knows Dr. H&E would be "god awful" if he couldn't get out some. I love ya. Holding you and MC in my thoughts and prayers, please tell her hello. Here is a little "mantra" if you will.... I am whole healthy and free as "God" Created me to be. Of course substitute God for whatever you like. And thanks to the sister that is providing the purrrffffecctt immune system, You are truely giving kind and wonderful!!!

Love,light and laughter!!!!
Lane Utley
Lapwai

 

Post a Comment

<< Home