Monday, June 13, 2005

From beautiful Avery Idaho to steamy Bethesda

On the last day in Idaho before this last round of chemo we drove down to Avery for a gathering of our Lewiston gourmet group - the "Valley Gluttons and Drunkards". The last 49 miles, up the St Joe River was beautiful Idaho river, forest, mountains and canyon. The relaxed comraderie of this group, that has been getting together regularly now for around 22 years, was really a special treat.
But the next day I had to be up at 4:30AM for my flight out of Spokane. Arrived back in Bethesda to 90 degrees and 90% humidity! Got up at 6:00AM to run, hoping it would be cooler... not by much! After my usual blood tests I took the NIH Airport Shuttle to Baltimore Int'l and flew to Providence (SWA $116.50 round trip) to visit my parents. Just as hot here! But it's supposed to cool off tomorrow, we hope. I guess this will help prepare me for our summer in Bethesda?
Just finished a neat little book from my friend Larry in Sandpoint - "The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Nighttime" - a mystery as related by a 15 yo autistic boy. Gives one some insight into that condition.
Hopefully it will be cooler when I get back to Bethesda Thursday for the chemo. Or I'll just have to do my bicycle riding earlier in the day.
Had an interesting revelation the other day: I figured out that with my 56th birthday having been on April 10th, my transplant day - July 14th - is probably pretty close to the 57th anniversary of my conception - the real start of my life. Apropos for a "new beginning" I'd say.

3 Comments:

At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey philsy -- the "other sister" here-- contemplating your revelation re conception while visiting the parents.. tres risque.
Just keeping up with the blog and keeping all fingers and tootsies crossed that this last round won't be too awful. Sorry I can't be there to play puppy dog but The Perfect One will be so I know you'll be well cared for..
Lotsa love
BRAT

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so your family gets up earlier than I do! That is a great little book, isn't it. I missed my book group discussion of it, but wondered about the author's history with autism. Sure got me thinking about feelings and relationships. Will keep you in my thoughts and hope for a surprisingly gentle round this time. After all, if Bush is going down good things must follow!
Love, Julia

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the month has slipped by and I missed three of the blogs before I clicked on again. I ADORE the name of the Lewiston gourmet group but I suspect members don't have Valley Gluttons and Drunkards stickers on the back windows of their cars.

It was wonderful to see you yesterday. I hope you didn't have to stay up too late packing. Good luck on the road ahead.

Love, Karen and Tom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home