Visitors and E-mails
MC sure got a response with those Superman photos! Seemed the natural thing to do when faced with the "tall building" of stem cell transplant. I had the nurses and doctors primed though by just telling them the day before that I had a "special outfit" for the transplant. Bet seeing Superman was a relief!
Felt pretty good most of today. Was able to be up all day: practiced guitar (trying to resume from scratch; thanks to Bill and Sue Kohut's books), was visited by Tinsley and Dennis from Seattle - great to see them and visit. Lots (!!!) of great e-mails/comments on the blog including one purportedly from Nancy's stem cells "on the job" - that cracked me up. A pile of jokes and riddles from the NIH Rabbi (I'm armed and dangerous for whenever I get back to the OR....).
Most everything on the up-and-up. Still no appetite, but that's to be expected. Some rising enzymes, not clearly liver vs blood in origin - "watching them". Some fluid retention - more Lasix, ugh. Overall though doing very well for this stage of the game. Hardest part of the day is the night - hard to sleep wih all these IV's, the hospital bed, the random changes in room temperature, the frequent BR trips (see "Lasix" above), vital signs, hanging IV's, blood draws...But, I know I'm doing a little better everyday, and successfully negotiating this medical minefield.
Love PHILancy

8 Comments:
Now Alice REALLY believes your last admonition to her - there's absolutely no excuse not to exercise! We're all so happy that you've turned this corner and are coming down the home stretch, so to speak. Still, must not take your eyes off the road, I'm sure. We'll hope it's as smooth as possible. Love, Julia
(will be sure and tell Hillary to never throw away her Wonder Woman costume.....!)
Phil,
What a hellava way to get a bunch of fresh new jokes. Loved the Superman poses. So did the all the girls at MMC - you sexy thing you. Your reputation as a pillar of Sandpoint society is being cheerfully tarnished.
Hope those cells are settling quickly into their new "home". You are truly an inspiration....a wacked out one but still an inspiration.
Love,
Kathy and Phil
Hi Phil,
Now that would be a great pose for the Wheaties box. Looking Good!
Sue and Bill
Bram here. Off the Middle Fork. Day 4 woke up at 5 something am (not sure exactly it was too damn early and still dark) and did the Jack Creek Point hike in 28 minutes. Mom...you did this hike with me - the really steep one up to the amazing view with the slippery "marbles" on the way down where I tried to teach you to get low and lean forward. The technical geologic term for this slippery granitic soil is greuss (a german word). Anyway, the morning sunlight breaking through the clear July skies and splashing down onto the craggy canyon ridges above the cold dark blue Middle Fork of the Salmon river was dedicated to you DAD. Great workout, great view, amazing place.
Caught a bunch of beautiful rainbow trout and cutthroat trout with the fly rod that you gave me (not going to waste). Got up too early, swam frequently in the cold water, and gazed up at the golden eagles circling high above.
I will call you soon. Hope you are doing well. Glad the Superman suit got to you on time. What the hell is a blog site?
Phil, Elizabeth R. here. Not difficult to picture all the IV stuff to keep you awake at night (you brought back charming memories of my piddly burst appendix hosp. experience--thanks!). So has your feminine side manifested itself now that you have more of it?
By the way, FYI, Mark's opening at the Guthrie was fun. I met Angela Bassett, Courtney Vance, John Guare (Six Degrees of Separation author), Reginald Vel Johnson (Diehard, etc.) AND James McArthur! He comes up to my shoulder! What a hoot! I told him I've had a crush on him since Kidnapped and Swiss Family Robinson days. I almost said "Book 'em, Danno", but I didn't. "Reggie" was so sweet, gave me a big hug, and I spilled my water all over him. He loves Mark's scripts he's given him to read. Maybe he'll tell the right person...
Phil, there is a new toy out there to keep you entertained for hours. It's called 20 questions, it's the size of a remote, and it guesses what you're thinking of, apparently with a sense of humor. The cast of the show is having fun with it. Mark says it's uncanny, and he can always tell when someone is on it, because suddenly in the green room you here an "Oh, my God!" when it seems to guess what you're thinking. It would be something to keep your mind distracted, when you have nothing else to do. Interested?
Okay, perhaps this should have been an email, and not a blog entry. Am I taking after my mother? Oh well...
Hang in there. Think those thoughts Bram sent. Beautiful! Bye for now. Mark and Jeremy say hi!
Loved the Superman suit....left me toatlly speechless! You are TOO much. An inspiraton!
Chafin's in Atlanta
You Rock, Phil! I can only imagine the impact you are having on those DC perfessionals, not to mention a fine introduction to your new stem cells life ahead. They're in for the ride of their life.
Reading your site and comments coming in is incredibly enriching. It is wonderful to feel the love, baby!
Love, Steve & Julie
Hello Phil, I have never been on a blog site, but it tells us you are doing really well. Sounds like your sister has super cells and you are well on your way to recovery. It is hot here too, but the humidity is not as high, but there is no end in site.
Nick, Annie Oatsley, Bitchly, and Clearwater Chloe are doing well her on the Middle fork Clearwater, but sweltering in the heat. Our recreation has been pulling yellow star thistle and knapweed in the hot afternoon sun to improve our tan. I am off to Crooked River with an excavator hoe tomorrow to improve fish habitat with Nick in tow to monitor the turbidity created by the excavator in the creek and also with KT, the fish bio to make sure I don't kill any bulltrout moving rocks around. This will probably be our family vacation for the year. We may hit elk city for a beer in the evening.
We have a lovely Forest Service camper trailer set up on the mine dredge tailings that we can stay in with a lovely view. Well,stay well and we hope to see you home soon. We will be back on your site again later this week to check your progress. Say hello to MC and hope she survives the humidity,
Post a Comment
<< Home