Thursday, July 14, 2005

What a Transition



The nurses at NIH had never seen anything like it. He asked if he could be unhooked from IV's before his transplant. She rid him of lines for a short while and what do you think he did? Hit the floor and did pushups and then took off for the nearest exit to the stairs and went up 14 floors, twice. After she got Lance (his triple lumen catheter) all set for Nancy's cells she left the room and when she returned there was you-know-who, yes, Superman! After all 5 bags were infused Anita kindly brought a stationery bike into the room and now he thinks he's in the Tour. I guess he is (he's been watching too much TV and he's not used to it). The nurses are not sure what to expect tomorrow. Stay tuned.

For those of you who want to comment...just hit the comments button, scroll down to the bottom and hit one of those buttons, enter text, and publish. It's easy. Add your name and email if you wish.

14 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil and Mary Catherine,
Been trying to do this, maybe I'll get it right this time. Great to have a way to be in touch. Sounds like Suerman is doing great--must have felt those Sandpoint vibes! We miss you,
Sandy G

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude,when you wake up in the morning and there's no doorknob on your side of the door,you might want to dial it down a notch.
Terry

 
At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil,

Love the pictures in the supersuit. Maybe you can wear that at the bike races next year. Yeah, we've been following the tour; it starts about 5 am here, which is perfect because that's when the new puppy wants to get up. Really like that Rasmussen guy; rode mountain bikes till 2 years ago. Knows how to climb the hills. Still looks funny in polka-dots.

Hope you're eating chocolate again soon. Looking forward to when you get home. Maybe the syrah will be aged enough then.

mark and yvonne

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey uncle Phlancy...Sending all prayers your way tonight and hoping all those new T cells are winging their way to do what they're supposed to do...I'll be thinking of you anytime I get paged with a request for zofran or reglan or phenergan, which is damn often. You look fabulous in your superman outfit. Keep up the spirits and pray you won't need any surgery during the month of July....

Best, Raphael

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,
I love your spirit! Why, I believe you may have started a trend for all the transplant patients.
Nice sewing job Mary Catherine!
Love and blessings to you both.
Love, Bernie

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger Lane said...

You are so funny!!! Remember when you first wore that suit your kids had never seen you without a moustache!! this is Great. I bet the nurses are having a ball!!!
I am currently at old St. Joes still on the night shift and it would be a great thing to walk into a room and see somebody in a suit like that!!! I love the comment by Terry.... he's right though you know?!!!

continue to ride the spirits high!! Good luck MC.. you have your hands full !!

Love,light and laughter...
lane

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's Super Philancy! You NEVER cease to amaze and dumbfound me, Phil. And I know you! I can just imagine what the nurses talk about once they get back to their station! Stairs, bikes, push-ups, hell I can't do those on a good day! It takes phenomenal courage for both you and Mary Catherine to weather this challenge together and I am so pleased that the procedure has progressed so well through the critical transplant.

Dale joins me in sending you more energy and humor and a long distance hug for you both.

love,
Betsy and Dale

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to show the tubby guy this. He'll love it!

Great plan to keep them all guessing, BUT we know and completely believe that we don't have to guess the outcome - you are going to come through this with FLYING colors!

wham, bam, splat!

Go SuperPhil!!!
Love,
Kendra and Timmay

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Philsy: I haven't seen you in a Superman outfit since kindergarden.

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil, The outfit looks great - you look better. I know you're both glad that yesterday is over; the nurses may not be though as you surely made their day! Hey, can Lance accept IV chocolate? You might be able to skip all the Reglan, Phenergan and other assorted anti-emetics!! Ask one of the nurses and see what they can do for you. Lastly if the door knob is off the door (as it probably will be) and the walls feel a little rubbery -- its probably not a dream -- they've moved you to a new ward!! We love you both, Mike & Kathy

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To followup on Mike's comment, I have one question - did MC dress like Lois Lane?
Kathy

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep, that's my dad. Nancy's loosey-goosey, laid back cells are in for the ride of their life in this new body...

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil. I love Superman and it so fits you! I remember years ago talking with you on 4 north and you told me you would never receive a transplant after the age of 40. What would be the point! Are you 40 yet? It is amazing how perspectives and medicine change, huh? All my prayers have been with you and your family ever since I heard of your cancer diagnosis. I am still at St Jo's in Oncology. We have come a long way, baby! Dr Rooney is still here and well. Keep up the positive attitude! Miss you.
Yours In The Fight Against Cancer,
Joan Richardson

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What inimitable style!

Love from Port Townsend where I finally found a way to jump somebody else's internet freight car,
Karen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home