Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Day 6

Some good news. No fever now for over 36 hours, so pulling the Central Line yesterday was probably the right move. Also total white blood cell count is up to 94, and the absolute neutrophil count slightly up to 10 - this could be the first sign that the stem cell graft is kicking in. Tomorrow's lab will determine whether this is a real trend. HCT is down to 21.2, but I feel strong, and hope to avoid tranfusion.
Love all your comments. Some are pretty darn funny. Encouraging to hear from the friend of MC's brother, Jim Paige, who apparently is an 8 year stem cell transplant survivor.
It dawned on me yesterday that between the transplant chemo, and the "clean-up" action of Nancy's T-cells I should now be cancer free! Yes I'm still at risk for both short-and longterm complications of the treatment, but it's great to know that the myeloma is GONE!
To answer Elizabeth's question, I'll probably name the replacement Hickman Catheter Lance also, but thanks for all the creative suggestions.

Phil

6 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil, you got up early today!! Glad to hear that the candida is under control and going away (: I vote for Lance II for the new cath. Lance A is a six time champion and winner (soon to be 7). Hopefully you won't need/get that many but I wouldn't retire the name just yet. Anyway it still fits with Phil + Lance + Nancy = Phlancy. Love & prayers to MC & you. Mike & Kathy

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic news. Thanks for letting us know right away! But is absolut nutrophil the name of a new vodka? "New Phil"?! ABSOLUTELY! Love, Julia

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, everybody, before they read this, Mary Catherine's birthday is the day after tomor---

Oh, hi, guys, how's it going? Glad to hear the fever is gone. And the cancer! That's intense! Go see a good movie now. I heard on McNeil/Lehrer that the hit of the summer is the documentary on emperor penguins. They are so cute! And that snow!!! Phil, it looks soooo coooooooool! And refreshing! (Of course you would have to go outside in the heat to get to the movie...hmmm.)

Gotta go. MC, I can't believe you gave Phil KFC. A LITTLE greasy? Well, he's eatin'... Bye for now. Love to you both.

 
At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful news... so happy to hear you are feeling stronger!!
love & hugs to you & mc
Steve & Mauria

 
At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi you guys, Thanks for making sure that we are updated. Man we loved that Superman outfit. Those quads are the envy of many. Sounds like things are ready for the upswing, we are cheering on. You have been amazing. As the old jewish custom goes POOH POOH POOH!!!!!!!!

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Phil, it is good to hear that you are able to do a lot of things you like to do. It has been hot here too on the Middle Fork. Chloe only dreams of swimming it is so hot, but a little cold front brought an 80 degree evening, almost normal. Fire season is here on the Forest. We haven't had to participate much yet. Sorry, I don't have any funny jokes today. Just wanted to say hello.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home