Lance
No, this is not an update on the Tour.
Some of you may know that when they put in my central line (Hickman Catheter) in March, I named it Lance, to figuratively place the great bicyclist and cancer survivor on my "team".
Well, I spiked another fever last evening, to 38.7C, and now they are growing a skin candida ("yeast") in blood cultures from two of the three ports of my central line. Once a "foreign body", s.a. a catheter, becomes infected, the only way to stop the infection, especially in someone with very low white cells, is to remove the catheter. Interestingly, the NIH Infectious Disease Specialist who rounds with my doctor's team, says they have not had a central line yeast infection in about five years. So this falls into the category of "if anything weird can happen it usually happens when the patient is a physician"
So later this morning, once they get my platelet count up to a reasonable level with a platelet transfusion, they're going to remove "Lance", and then send me down to their Interventional Radiology Dept. for a new, "temporary" central line, which will probably stay in until it is replaced with a new Hickman when my white cells get back up to normal.
Otherwise things are generally going well. I'm feeling a little weak and washed out, from both the low Hct and the fever spikes. But my appetite is doing slightly better. I still have an aversion to the Hospital food, so MC is going to bring in some kind of take out food for my lunch. She's appalled though at some of the things I seem to crave, like Kentucky Fried Chicken!?
Phil

6 Comments:
Nope, i think kfc is just weird. How about some homemade donuts? Julia
Phil: Order some Chanx.
Sitting on the school house porch at Fort Worden, my feet up on the shady bench so they don't get burned by the hot sun. I just managed to hook into somebody else's remote access (Goddard College but don't tell them...they're worried about contamination) and read up on the six days of Phalancy Chronicles I've missed while in this naval outpost.
It makes for wonderful reading, especially that part bout how Phil is thinking about food, glorious food. Leave that yeast stuff to other vessels that hold vino and beer.
Thank you for the reports. You are definitely on my mind and I love to have Superman photos and doorknob details to add. You both sound just great. Now for the big compatibility test which I think will be an easy A.
Love, Karen
Hi Phil & MC, been a long time-- 35 years? I am pulling for you both! MC's bro John sent me on in.
Having gone the stem cell replacement route myself 8 years ago I think Phil's attitude seems to be perfect. One has to be slightly crazy, see the humor in all and blow off the stress so you can focus on the important things. Sleep deprivation and drugs lead you to think of KFC? Must be some industrial strength drugs.
I only wish I'd thought of the Superman outfit. But that's why Phil is the Dr.
Love to both of you and keep the humor flowing- have fun going through this.
Jim Paige
Hey Phil and MC,
What an up and down adventure - not too unlike the tour you wish you were on instead. We're thinking about you - I agree with MC's assessment of the indoor temperature thing - I think it's called "overreacting." Great to be able to keep up with you both -I've toasted a farewell to the yeast - I hope they were listening. Give each other a hug from us. Kathy and Mike
Elizabeth here. Maybe your fever thing is really the heatwave we've been having finally coming your way (97F with 70%Dewpoint!). You would think with all the technology they have at their fingertips that they could adjust the thermostats occassionally. So what are you going to call the new catheter? Lance: Episode II? Lance Revisited? Beyond Lance? Lance's Love child? Dawn of the Lance? A Midsummer Night's Lance? (I know, don't quit my day job..) So Phil, did you decide on crispy or original KFC?
Hang in there, you guys. You are both pretty incredible. Love and prayers to you both.
Post a Comment
<< Home