Thursday, July 21, 2005

I'll take 2 Quarts

Day #7

HCT is down to 20.4, total white cells 77 and absolute neutrophil count (no, cousin Julia it's not a brand of vodka, but you might be onto something there) 5. So they're going to transfuse me with two units of red blood cells today. I expect it will give my energy a "boost" and might even hopefully mitigate some other nagging minor problems - headache, tremor, difficulty sleeping. They also said, that on this particular protocol, I shouldn't expect the counts to start coming up until day #12. So I'll just have to be patient (not a Phil strongpoint, but maybe Philancy...?)
I wish my appetite would improve. The anti fungal they added yesterday definitely took that down a notch, so eating is difficult again. But I'm forcing enough down to keep the TPN at bay. Considering that every one of the six (*) drugs I'm currently on "commonly" cause "nausea, vomiting, diarrhea", I really can't complain about how my digestive system is performing either.
Looks like it's hot nearly everywhere in the country. Here it's been in the 90's with high humidity. So, in at least one regard, I'm glad to be inside here.
Making some progress on my guitar playing. Did the Tai Chi class yesterday. Will get back on the exercise bike today, after I get that blood!

(*) 2 antifungals, 1 antiviral, 1 antibacterial, and 2 immunosuppressants!

Phil

3 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil--if you need some of my 47.2 HCT let me know, as long as you take it easy on me on the hills after you get your Lance Armstrong good stuff...looks like his protocols will be working again for #7 this year. Too bad he doesn't do something hard like the hour record before he retires..Sandy has some terrific chicken for you when you get a chance! Don't fall off your bike!
John

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil, Sorry to hear about the N,V,D symptoms - too many drugs and you only have one stomach that they all 'gang up' on. How about a little chocolate snack? Or maybe chocolate RBC's!!(-:] The NIH folks may not have heard about it but then again they've never treated SUPERMAN before either. Our love & prayers. Mike & Kathy

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Lane said...

Sounds like despite it all you are doing very well. I just want to know if you did the tai chi class in you superman suit!!! The thought of that makes me laugh!!! Somehow I wouldn't put it passed you.
I just completed my work week at the hospital, and my secondary employer is in the hospital so perhaps I won't have to work on my off week from the hospital, we'll see. I help take care of a quad on a vent. in his home. He is starting to have lung compliance problems with the vent his peak pressures are quite high.... bummer. Here at St. Joes we have had a bad summer for young injurys. You just never know do you? Brings me to you. Who would have ever guessed that Dr. H&E (health and exersice) would have ended up with this crap!! I spoke with Jay Hunter the other day and showed him your pictures in the now infamous suit. He got a kick out of that... He is another survivor from the myeloma. You two are poster boys... huh I mean MEN of course.
Mary Catherine I can see you having two sets of clothes when you go to visit. One for outside and then the layers for the inside, the humidity must be aweful. Don't you wish you could give phlancy some of your appetite? I wish I could!!! :)
Well I have rattled on for long enough.. Keep on keepin' on... I am proud of you both, and very pleased to hear things going so well. I'll keep the prayers and healing vibs coming.

Love, light and laughter..
Lane :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home