Do I have to eat Chocolate?
One of the interesting instructions on discharge yesterday was to eat dark chocolate for its Magnesium content, because the cyclosporine apparently depletes the body's Magnesium. You can bet that got my attention! But leave it to MC to research this further and find out that sunflower seeds, almonds, and leafy green vegetables are even higher in magnesium (killjoy!).
Was sure nice to sleep in a real bed last night, and not have someone turn on bright lights at 5AM to get my weight and vital signs. I'd love to get out for a nice walk/jog or a bike ride, but quickly lose interest when I hit that wall of moist hot air they call "the out-of-doors" here. So I'm actually "behaving myself", laying low and taking it easy, at least for a few days. Also plagued by some recurrent nausea - due to an increase in my cyclosporine and the addition of magnesium, maybe I need to get back on the scopolamine patches? But overall life on the outside is a definite improvement and a step forward.
Phil

13 Comments:
But I don't know where you are staying...!!! Need and address please ... have to run, I'm having a magnesium craving...love Susie
Now that you are out, we can have chanx!!!!!!!!
So you should put almonds on your dark chocolate!
Great news Phil! Matt & Mauria
Hi Phil, Its great to hear about your positive direction in your treatment. I hope to see you back in town zooming around on your bike doing errands. The weather has been nice with very good air quality so far. Traffic is worse than ever. The old grain elevator across from Arbys finally bit the dust, to bad. Hope to see you soon. Take care, Dave reseska
Hi,Philancy: Leaving the hospital is a GIANT step forward and we're so glad to see that happen. Please explain:what the *** is chanx??? Will you be back east too much longer-let the BVGD know when you've returned. Love and good thoughts to you and Mary
Catherine.
The Roens
chocolate? did someone say chocolate? reminds me of a certain triple layer chocolate desert i made once for a fellow chocoholic. a long time ago. wonder if i could find the recipe. hmmm. nice to know some cravings will never change- no matter what!!! happy to see you're home, there's nothing like your own bed. take care, marcia
Dear, dear Phil,
This news that I've just caught up on is fabuloso! Many, many folks here in Sandpoint are so happy to hear how you've come through with flying colors. Must be the pilot in you.
We're going out on the lake this weekend for a couple of nights on Traveler. We'll raise a toast to you and think how you are living now in Peter and Sharon's habitat.
(Well, Mary Catherine my fellow huntress, you'll be interested to hear that our garden is so poor and infertile this year we don't even have slugs. But oh boy do we have fields of rudebekia!)
Love, Karen and Tom
Congratulations on your early discharge from the hospital! I've been playing in a big golf tournament, so had to catch up on your news. Have fun eating chocolate--I wish a doctor would tell me to eat more chocolate! Keep letting us be informed on your progress, and do what your doctor says! I'm sure MC will see to that! Love, Barb and John
Phil & MC, GLAD to hear you are OUT!! Don't worry about enough Mg++ in chocolate - just eat more (: Mike & Kathy
It's good to hear your having a good time. I can imagine that sleeping in a regular bed would be just a little slice of heaven. Thanks for "behaving" you have come to far to push to hard. Ya know what I mean... You might as well follow Dr's orders.........Doctor.
I like the suggestion of adding almonds to the chocolate... sounds like a great and yummy idea.
Keep on keepin' on.. '
Love,light and laughter..
Lane
Philsy: NEVER EVER tell anyone about CHANX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fantastic, Phil and Mary Catherine!
It is amazing how good a real bed feels, isn't it? Could you really get all those childhood diseases all over again? Okay, doin't anybody get sick for a few years, okay?
So, of course it's DARK chocolate that has a lot of magnesium in it, yes? Please, tell me it's dark chocolate! 'Cause I always feel soooo much better after eating my chocolate almond fudge icecream with huge chunks of almonds and even bigger chunks of dark chocolate....
Sorry the weather is so bad hot-wise there. We have just had two of the most gloriuous days of this entire summer, a welcome change from heat in the 90's and dew point in the 80's. But I hear Sunday we'll be back at it.
Leaving for the big trip to Germany soon. We fly through Newark. So how close is that to you in DC? Oh, come on, what else you got goin'?
Mary Catherine, you are lucky the weather is like it is. Hot weather is the only thing I know of that Phil can't stand (him and his t-shirts in zero degree weather...). Besides our fearless leader, of course. (Oops, sorry, no politics!)
Take care, many prayers, love to you both,
Elizabeth, Mark and Jeremy
(I just submitted a blog, but it did not seem to go through....so if you get this twice, so sorry!)
Hey, Phil. And Happy Birthday to Mary Catherine!
We are thrilled at your progress and improvement! You really ARE Superman! Way to go, Philancy! And, oh darn, oh heck, chocolate is actually good for you. Poor baby!
We have been amazed and awed by your stamina, tenacity, and bravery. Keep up the good work (and the blog reports).
Love and prayers,
Brenda and Michael
Post a Comment
<< Home