Saturday, July 30, 2005

Boring is Good

Things continue to go smoothly. We're beginning to have something of a routine here. We're house sitting for our friends Sharon and Peter in Silver Spring, MD (while they're enjoying the remote Upper Pack River,Sandpoint, Lake Pend Oreille, and numerous mutual friends). We try to go for a walk or a bike ride early each day, before the heat, the sun, and the (week days) commuter traffic. This has created something of a quandry for MC, who would like to sleep in, but at the same time feels duty bound as my "caregiver" to be with me all the time, in case "something" (?) were to happen. From 10:00 AM to 4:00PM we relax at the house, reading, catching up on computer correspondence, I practice guitar, MC knits, etc. I have to be at NIH every Monday and Thursday for a good part of those days. We pick up our mail at Nancy's friend's house in Bethesda most afternoons.
But things haven't been entirely boring. There was a brief, but very intense thunderstorm here last Wednesday, that knocked out our power for about 18 hours, and created some impressive tree carnage throughout the neighborhood. Yesterday afternoon and evening we were visited by one of my favorite Med School classmates, Steve Warres and his wife Melpa. They came down from Baltimore with tons of food: a dozen Maryland crabs, corn on the cob, a 13x9 pan full of chicken baked in plums, garlic, & olives, couscous, fresh vegetables, and a blueberry torte! We have enough leftovers for a week. Steve brought his Ukelele, and we stumbled through Beatles classics 'til my fingers were sore.
We enjoy all the comments on the Blog. Susie Schaefer may have started a new code for chocolate addiction when she stated that her "magnesium was feeling low". Hope you are all keeping your magnesium up!

Love Philancy

13 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our magnesium level was somewhat heightened on Johnson Creek yesterday evening when we ate our ways through an entire package of Milanos. Tom said, "Hey, there's only one cookie left!" and i let him have it.

I picked raspberries with Sharon today up at Sheri and Joe's Rapid Lightning house. She asked me if I'd heard if your power had gone out. "It always does in a storm like that," she said. I told her I didn't have the answer but then came home to your blogwords about the 18 hours without juice.

What are you knitting these days, Mary C? Here's hoping you'll enjoy all the way through all those wonderful Warres leftovers. Is your appetite back, Phil?

We love readiing the tourdephil. Thank you for keeping us up on life in Silver Spring. Keep a good eye on your magnesium intake...don't let it dip too low.

Karen and Tom

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Lane said...

My magnesium is always low!!! In fact to remedy this situation I just got done eating two chocolate chocolate chip cookies!!!
I just love reading your postings thank god you didn't have a tree come and visit you!!! All the food sounds great! I hope your appetite is better now so that you can eat it all, or at least enjoy tasting it all.
Life here con't to be very busy I am fighting the earwigs and the grasshoppers in my little garden. It was 105 here today. The horses even let me squirt them with water the otherday. The pigs seem to tolerating it well. I make them a little mud hole when I water them.. You can't just squirt them with water they will have a heart attack and die.... Madie would kill me if I killed her pig!!! That pig means about 400.00 dollars to her this fall. She has been working like a little bee this summer. She is such a good kid. I am very proud of her. She wants to be a Dr. First she said a surgeon and now she is wavering between a surgeon and a anesthesiologist. We'll see... I tell her that I don't care what she does just so she is able to support her mother in the manner I want to become accustomed to!!! :)
Brittany and her husband are jacking up there house this summer and putting a foundation under it. Lots of work but they are young and talented!! Well I must get off here work is calling.
Be good to yourselves.
Love, light and laughter...
Lane

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chanx improves your magnesium levels.

 
At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Phil:

What's this Chanx stuff..? are my stem cells going to like it?

To all Philip/philancy fans:
I'm just back from Bethesda and I want you to know that in spite of having my stem cells...Philip is still 100% Philip! He still has the same high standards for himself as always and not the least bit lazy and easy to push around. So you won't have to make any adjustments to having a decadent TV watching, city loving Long Islander in your midst.

Keep it up Philip...just let the Nancy part run the bone marrow and the immune system. Take care of yourself.

...and keep the messages coming...good news IS GREAT news...

love
nancy

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad it's all going well. Good news about the chocolate. We take off for Boulder with Alice on Tuesday - a long, hot drive, but some country I've never seen, so it's a good thing. Flying back in a week, then the island for as much time as possible! Went crabbing off the end of the Olga dock for a 31st wedding anniversary crab-fest last Monday. Looking forward to the Orcas Island Chamber Music Festival the end of August.

Stay the course. Love, Julia

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Julia:

Crabs go great with chanx.

 
At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
You know that sound Homer Simpson makes when he is confronted by a cheeseburger? I make the same sound with dark chocolate! So can you have too much magnesium?

Mary Catherine, are you able to keep up with Phil? I don't think I got the bike gene. Sounds like you guys are doing incredible. Keep it Up!

Will try to keep in touch from Berlin and Copenhagen. Love to all. Elizabeth, Mark and Jeremy

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil and MC,
Sounds like you're both doing great--just kick back and enjoy the interlude. You know that there's never enough time for that when you're at home.
We just returned from a couple day drive up the beautiful Yaak--in a truck & camper we treated ourselves to for our 49th anniversary! Pretty cool. This growing 'older' isn't so bad!

Love and good wishes,
Sandy & Gordon G.

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil, this is the second time I have tried to leave a comment. The old Micron has about had it. It is a cool 76 degrees here today. I might be able to sleep in the house today. I to have been keeping up my Magnesim with dark chocolate whenever possible. Chloe begs for a bit and even though it is bad for her, she gets some. Sounds like your routine includes a little fun and good food now. I would send Chloe over to keep you busy during the hot time of the day, but she would have seperation anxiety. We are off to Allison Krause this week and back over the Montana road and the high country. Keep on posting, very entertaining for us country folks!!!!!!!

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Philancy! I'm not anonymous to MC, but I may be to you. Be aware that I have records on all of your major moves for the last seven or eight years. I know that one person on Long Island, but only one, can keep up with you on a run. I know that you are the ninth person in this NIH trial and have already used this intelligence to advance my own interests. (I've told my plumber that a very valuable person will be using my new bathroom in October so that he'd better get with it.) Through nefarious means I have obtained a bracelet made by Mary Catherine. I expect to see you soon.

Lurker in Your Life

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

more blog more blog ... we want more blog!!

tuesday aug 2

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. More chanx,more chanx... we want more chanx.

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil, and Mary Catherine, sounds like you're making a pretty good time of it out there in spite of the heat, the treatments and all. It's good to hear that not only does life goes on, it's pretty normal. Great to hear you have friends, family and friends of friends to visit with and make your stay more pleasant. We miss seeing you at the concerts, and look forward to your being there next summer. What are you knitting, Mary Catherine?

Best to you,
Heather and Alan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home