Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Chocolate Aversion!?

Weight down to 83.5, down .6 kg. Still at least 7# of excess fluid, feet still swollen, but at least now I can button my shorts. Best night's sleep in a month last night. Getting stronger, took only 10 min to ride from Chinky's to NIH this morning on the bike. Received my last dose of IV Vancomycin (antibiotic), and then they pulled my central line. Only pills from now on. Creatinine is stuck at 2.33. The Nephrologists feel that in addition to the Cyclosporine toxicity, I also had some acute tubular necrosis (ATN) from the line sepsis episode. I won't get into the medical details of ATN, other than to say it's also completely reversible, and should start to improve any day now.

Nothing scheduled for tomorrow! Thursday I have lab and see Dr. Bishop in the Clinic. Monday I'm scheduled for more lab and the first post transplant bone marrow. I'm supposed to see Bishop again the next Thursday for the marrow results, but I plan to talk him out of that, so that we can depart for Sandpoint after the Bone marrow Monday. We could be home in Sandpoint by Friday or Saturday!

OK, here's the deal on the chocolate. If you go back to my blog on the 10th of May, I "rewarded" myself after the 65.5 hrs fast with a big gourmet Chocolate chip cookie that Lorna had brought from NYC. This was 5 hours after the "wipe out" dose of the Melphalan chemo. I felt a little queasy at the time but just attributed it to hunger. But apparently the chemo had already kicked in on my gut, the cookie tasted a little "off", and now when I see or even think of chocolate, I get that funny queasy taste in my mouth. So currently I have NO desire for chocolate. Permanent? Unlikely, but I may not ever have the same passion/addiction for it. We'll see.

All you folks with the the LiveStrong bracelets. You are officially off the hook now. Take it off, or continue to wear it if you want. We did it!. I'm eternally grateful. (You may want to save it for some future friend/family who has to combat cancer).

Boy, I see there is all kinds of wild weather all across the country this week. Odds are next week should be a good time to travel. Can't wait!

Phil

7 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The phone rang around noon while I was out in the garden planting bush beans (non-political affiliation). I sprinted for the house, ripping my gardening gloves off on the run. I missed the call but when I stepped back out the log room door I spied the yellow bracelet on the step. It took flight on its own. I put it back on but thought wow I wonder if this means Phil is released to the outside world.

So happy to hear you are nearly homeward bound, Karen & Ruby my Familiar (Tom's still in Canada & will be until July 1)

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Schlong: I always recommend to my patients,Chanx not chocolate!!!!! Professor Donk.

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil,
When I read your remarks about the possibility of you not being addicted to chocolate anymore, I actually got chills all over the bod! Even chocolate raspberry tart?! I think I could tease you into it.

You are welcome to stay here on your way home if you brave enough to go as far South as stormy Kansas. It's hot and humid. While I would love to see you, I don't recommend it. Although, MC, there IS the Yarn Barn and Sarah's Fabrics. And Phil, I don't think Sarah has sold that kit for the Coyote yet.

I'll be in Moscow on the 21st. Hope to see you during that visit!
Love,
Cindy
P.S. Sarah asked me to tell you that she's glad you are "OUT"!

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news Phil. - Dave and Pat

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle Phil, it's Matt. I am so glad to hear you are out and about and not having to deal with boring hospital life any more. Personally I think it's time for you to get a sports car or hot rod! Treat yourself to something fun anyway.

Love,
Matthew

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matt: Regards to Nancy and Lorne. I am tooling around in my rick-shaw. Dr. Alonk

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! (Is that how you spell it?)

So are you coming through on your way back? Let us know. You obviously survived it the first time...

Plus you can see my garden.

Love, Elizabeth, Mark and (by that time, fingers crossed) Jeremy the Grad!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home