Thursday, May 29, 2008

Still waiting for The Turnaround

Weight today was unchanged at 85.4 kg. Not surprising after the 2 units of blood and I.V. fluids they have given me yesterday. Creatinine actually crept up a little bit more to 2.87. So I was a little disappointed this morning. But they assure me it will start to come down. However, I still had maintained a modest but steady diuresis during the night and physically I feel better today than yesterday. I am eating more regular food. I did 18 minutes on the exercycle this morning and this afternoon I had a nice long walk outside with Bram and Mary Catherine and went faster and felt stronger than yesterday.

They have me scheduled for a transesophageal Echocardiagram. This is to add additional certainty to the recent negative standard echo that there are no vegetations on my heart valves from my earlier bout of staphbacteriumia. This will be done under conscious sedation. This institution, which is cutting-edge in every respect, for some reason has an anesthesia dept that makes you NPO for all foods including clear liquids after midnight. The current standard worldwide is 2 hours for clear liquids. Bizarre!

3 Comments:

At 3:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil, Caught up with the blog this morning, after some time in Connecticut sans email.

You have had a time. Look forward to seeing you soon, perhaps this weekend?

Best, Sharon and Peter

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Phil, hi MC
Reading through your blog has been fascinating, the gruel of cutting edge medicine definitely made better by your intimate knowledge. It's hard to imagine the daily grind, though, because little comments like 18 minutes on the exercycle and a walk-about seem to carry enought positive energy to obliterate the trenches you're actually in. WOW.

MC, gardening through May has absorbed all of my energy. You know, I was a stark rookie last year, but it sure is fun to build on successes. Snow is not off Baldy yet, but even in my frost pocket the weather has been mild enough to plant out nearly everything but the heat lovers. The community gardeners are having a great experience for their rookie year, lots of stories there too.

Thanks so much for this blog, you two. Each day, there are layers of the story that just float on by. Yesterday I found a little frog in my germinator station and sprayed her with a little water. All day, I celebrated watering a frog! Hang in there through the gruel,& celebrate all the small things!
Love & hugs to you both, Gail

 
At 6:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woke up at 4:20 this morning and could not drift back down into the land of dreams. So I wandered the backyard in my bathrobe, scissors in hand to snip off the many spent tulips. THe sky was worth getting up for: all billowing clouds with intriguing pockets of bright blue.
MC, of course you know I found little slimies on my tour. Rain did a final rinse on our laundry last night...we got an evening's washing opportunity when we dragged the washer into the remodel zone and hooked it up.
Tom leaves for Nanaimo tomorrow and I'm left with the crew here, three carpenters most days but add Myles with his tiles soon.
I hope yesterday's turnaround, your "faster and stronger," continues to grow. Have you felt your thighs wallop together when you walk?
Love, Karen & Ruby

 

Post a Comment

<< Home