Friday, May 30, 2008

A Bizarre Twist

Soon after writing the blog yesterday the infectious disease consultant came in with a pulmonologist and made the case for doing a bronchoscopy. As long as I was going to be under conscious sedation for the TEE and both require topical numbing of the upper airway it made sense to do both procedures at the some time.

The reason for the interest in the bronchoscopy is that the repeat CT scan of the lung earlier on Thursday had actually shown worsening of he infiltrate in the right upper lung, even though I had no pulmonary symptoms. Then ironically I spiked a temperature of 38.7 that evening, they drew blood cultures and started a third antibiotic to cover funji and yeast.

Both studies went smoothy this morning. The TEE showed clear valve leaflets and all preliminary studies of the bronchial washings were negative but they have to wait three days for the final results of some of the cultures. Creatinine still hasn't turned the corner; it hit 2.99 this morning. On the other hand, my weight was down 0.8 kg. I've had no further fever, my appetite is improving and I am feeling stronger. The doctors seem to be in a deep debate at this point as to how aggressive to get with the gut GVH, they should have some kind of decision by tomorrow.

3 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep us up on this bizarre twist. Wish you were doing the twist on the dance floor instead, though. I took my yellow bracelet to a big to-do at the new bank bldg tonight. Barney & Carol hosted a fundraiser dinner for the new roof for the Gardenia Center. There was a huge crowd and the food was amazing. Lots and lots of it. Live music but no dance, not even a twist.
Tom is in the front room scurrying around like a giant rat, trying to find the seal-a-meal machine that is packed in one of the mtn range of boxes from our big move-out. I'll go help him.

Love, karen

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, from reading the last few days of blogging it sounds as if you are staying a step or two ahead of the beast!!
My daughter Madison is in the ED as we speak here with an ovary that won't shut up!!! It's always somethin'
I am proud of you and your lovely wife for staying so positive and showing all of us how to live... You truly do livestrong!!!
keep on keeping on...
lane

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger LWROLE said...

I took you to a full hindu wedding. Sattie son got married and we were all (me, masha, linds and d)invited as family - complete w sari's (provided by the brides family).. An AMAZING experience .. They were both in full regalia - her the red sari and red flower veil and crown - he the golden robes, golden flower veil and enourmous crown. Everyone is so joyous -dancing wildly escorting their kin down the aisle, drums beating.. kids running thru the temple - in little mini saris and more - amazing.. Completely and utterly wonderful.. I'll send pix.. Must go to part 2 now - bringing you along for all the amazing foods..and I'll be thinkin of you both..
..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home