Things continue to go smoothly....
Things continue to go smoothly. No infections, no GVHD (graft vs. host disease), getting stronger every day, appetite better. I was supposed to have a bone marrow test tomorrow, but got a "reprieve" 'til Monday, because of a specific test they wanted to do on it that wasn't available this week(?) Learned that my Hct is still only 32, and that it may not get any higher, could even get lower, as long as I'm on the Cyclosporine (immunosupressant). They don't even start to decrease that until after day #100. So I guess I'll just stick with the "blood doping" regimen, i.e. increasing my aerobic capacity at the low Hct, so that when it finally gets up to normal...watch out!
We have less than a week left house sitting for Sharon and Peter in Silver Spring. We have really enjoyed their house. It's filled with beautiful art and antiques and located within walking distance of downtown Silver Spring and Sligo Creek - where we can walk, run or bike for miles under a tropical canopy of vines and trees along a meandering creek. Beginning next Tuesday we'll be house sitting for a couple of weeks for friends of my sister Nancy in Bethesda, Dave and Judy Scott.
Today we biked from Bethesda down to the DC Mall via the Capitol Crescent Trail, and all around the monuments: Washington, Lincoln, the Vietnam Memorial, etc., definitely the best way to "see" DC. Had lunch with the brother and sister of our Lewiston friend Steve Pettit; not surprisingly both proved to be very interesting people in their own right. Look forward to meeting their spouses and seeing them again.
The next week should be interesting. Hoping to hook up with one of the four Comanche pilots who have responded to my e-mail to do some co-piloting this weekend. Bram will visit from the 14th to the 18th, and Nancy (my donor) has a quick visit for follow up at NIH on the 18th.
We enjoy all the updates, comments, and warm wishes on the Blog - we check it every day. Thankyou so much, everyone!
Phil & Mary Catherine.

14 Comments:
Hi guys. Back from Boulder - what a strange town! It's a beautiful setting, the Flatirons bordering the town, but really quite a "college" + "tourist" town. Martini bars are everywhere, and lots of "Paris Hilton wannabees" walking around. We did get up into the mountains for a short walk, but it was pretty dry and hot for us Seattle wimps....
Glad to find all is going well for you. Apparently there's a lot of "buzz" in Boulder about Sandpoint being the new Breckinridge. Better get home and protect your turf....
Julia
Philsy: I climbed my mountain in Vermont today. There was a sign on the dirt road " great chanx in Bethesda".
So glad things are going smoothly. We have been keeping up with all the blogs. Sounds like you are making the best of a difficult and trying situation.
Brenda started back to work last week and has enjoyed (so far) the students she has this year. We spent a great week in San Francisco with the kids and even found time to bike over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausolito.
Have not been doing much biking lately (since the Katy Trail). Brenda suffers from carpal tunnel since the trip and can't put much weight on the hand; but Michael continues to ride. Wish you guys could join us for a ride on the Silver Comet Trail! Would love to see you while you're on this side of the country.
Keep the blogs coming and keep us informed. Your courage and tenacity are amazing!
Love and best wishes
Michael and Brenda
Hey, Phil and MC,
So when do you get to come back home? We're starting to miss you guys around here. We've postponed another Winos this month. Have you heard the lastest Sandpoint scandal? It involves the OB dept at BGH and a lot of bad press in the local paper. Wondering what your take is on the situation. Keep stimulating those reticulocytes; looking forward to watching you ride away from us on your bike when you're back.
mark and Y
Dear Phil and Mary Catherine,
Your meanderings sound so wonderful, as well as the new sights and people you are meeting. Trust you guys to land so gracefully on your feet. Cat people perhaps?
We sailed in the most glorious weather this afternoon. Winds at 25, frothy whitecaps smashing into Cooee at midships with huge sprays breaking into the cockpit. Tommie Tillisch (okay, we're pretty sure that was his baldy head) doing a great imitation of a human rocket as he screamed by on his windsurfer.
Missing you so.
Kathy and Phil
Hi Phil & MC:
You are amazing! Biking, no less, after what you've been through and in this heat. I'm having trouble getting off the couch, sticking to it I guess.
Once you get off the Cyclo you will even be more of a Superman than you are now.
Keep going strong and probably should keep the "chanx" thing to yourself, what do you think has kept me going all these years? Chanx, or the thought of Rasputin raising my only child.
Karen back east.
Dear Phil and MC:
Following your remarkable progress and so glad all is going well. Just wanted to send a little Sandpoint love your way.
Lauren C.
Phil and MC,
Your Lewiston friends are very happy that things are going so well; since I donated a kidney to my husband last June, we are a bit familiar with the whole anti-rejection drug and have another blood draw and test routine. Sure beats the alternative!
--Laura Bracken
Well, the state of Idaho and Washington are burning up!! I don't know if you have been up on the news around here. There is a fire around Pomeroy that they are calling the "School house" fire. It has burned 48,000 acres, but is now 75% contained. Then there is the Grangeville fire that has burned 4000 acers but is the number 1 priority in the nation because of how quickly it grew!! Both have taken homes and out buildings... The fire in Pomeroy has not only made the Valley here smokey but has carried ash and even in some cases chunks of bark as large as on old silver dollar... It has been the talk of the town...
Nothing more going on really. I had tickets to Dave Matthews in the Gorge for the up coming weekend but have sold them and instead I am going to go to Crystal Mountain and see Gary Zukav. It is a retreat that the Western region Unity Church puts on. It is beautiful there. It is in the Mt. Rainier National forest. I think this will be a better choice... How often do you get the opportunity to see someone like this. I am excited. I am going with a woman who has a big conversion van so I don't have to pay for room and board which makes it a ton more affordable.
Please excuse my spelling and grammer errors I know there must be many.. I wish there was a spell check on this thing.. Instead I just ask Steve ( I am at work ) and sometimes he gets annoyed!!! Thats even ok... sometimes I like annoying him!! : )Hope all is going well. Can't imagine that it isn't. I think of you both often and am encouraged by your courage.
Stay well!!
Love,light and laughter..
lane
Hi Phil and Mary Catherine, so glad you are getting out and about and seeing the sights. Our summer is just flying by. We miss seeing you around town, out for dinners and feasting at the Festival. Lots of political happenings at the hospital we hear. Not good press for the nursing administration. Hope you get up flying...just don't go buzzing the White House! We send our love and healing wishes. Pat and Gary
Hi Philancy,
O how bad I am on keeping up. Just sent you another email about your new neice in South Carolina, but I am so sorry it's been a while since I checked the blog. It sounds like you are better and perhaps by now on the way back to ID. I forget how long you stay, but I hope your feeling stronger by the minute! We are all in amazement of your stamina without the crit and your ability to do so much! We went blackberry picking right on the waterfront in PA and then Bonnie said she outdid us in PT. ,enough to freeze but I need some recipes so tell MC to cut and paste if she finds any on the net. Momma and Daddy have had a few intersting moments lately but not bad. Oh and my friend Dell from Spokanne came over to help with my home maintenence, etc... I think we are going to head out to Neah Bay this weekend. Trying to get in the last bit of Aug before school..since it has already cooled here. Hey Phil just how many drugs are you using total now?
Is there anything you need that I can send? Let me know okay! Well have a good run tomorrow or walk, I envy the trip to DC, I have always wanted to go there too. Lots of love and kisses, Peggy
Hey guys -
The huckleberries are OUTRAGEOUS this season. There are so many you can be berry snobs and only reach for the humungous ones. (Although after extensive taste testing, I think the medium size ones are the sweetest.)
Do you want us to pick some for you? Any excuse to skip work and go sit on our behinds in the mountains!!
Hope all continues to go well.
Love,
Kathy and Phil
Hi Phil and Mary Catherine
Well did you get to go flying? Rich is fishing in Alaska and I'm watching my grandson (3 years old) so haven't sent your surprise yet, is that address you gave me ok?
Thinking of you both, Love Susie
Mom and Dad and Catherine Jensen told me about your illness - I am so sorry to hear! But you sound upbeat an you're in good hands at the NIH.
My fiance and I expect to be driving through your area the wekend of September 24 - any chance we could have coffee or lunch? I would love to see you both. My email is stoianoff (at) alum.albertson.edu.
Best wishes,
Brie Stoianoff
Cell: 302.981.0437
Post a Comment
<< Home