Thursday, July 31, 2008

All Reports are Good. Off to Denmark!

We are currently back in Bethesda. I had lab work and bone marrow biopsy on Monday and saw the doctors today. Everything looks good. No evidence of Myeloma. Blood count is almost back to normal at 39. Kidney test is normal.
A week ago we left Sandpoint. Last Friday (the 25th) was my sister Lorna's wedding on Long Island. It was an intimate, simple ceremony, on their porch at 7:15AM, performed by the groom's father, Philip, an Episcopal minister, followed by breakfast for all. The rest of the weekend was spent with my family, which means lots of good eating. It's hard to express how wonderful good food is when you've recovered from a spell of altered taste and appetite.
We leave DC this Sunday for our niece Danielle's wedding in Copenhagen on the 8th.
With my appetite back to normal, I've regained 12 of the 30# I lost during the transplant hospitalization. And with my blood count coming back up, my endurance and strength have steadily improved, I'd say I'm performing at 90% of my pre-transplant level in most of my activities: bicycling, rowing, swimming, and working out on the machines at the Club, etc. I've been in contact with my Locums agencies, and am lined up with my first post transplant Anesthesia work the last two weeks of September.
I have been flying whenever I get the chance. Two weeks ago we flew West over the Cascades, past Seattle to Orcas Island. MC's cousin Julia's husband Tom transforms from a Seattle lawyer to a dedicated crab fisherman when he's on the island. We feasted on piles of fresh Dungeness crab, and mussels! On the way home we visited overnight with MC's sister Bonnie, and husband Joe, in Port Townsend.
At home the yard and garden are doing great. MC's bemoaning the fact that her raspberries and blueberries will just be coming on while we are gone. We had the ceiling on the front porch replaced before we departed on this trip. In the process we had the structural components beefed up to accept a new cedar porch wing. We've always missed the one we had on the porch at our Lewiston house. I'm in the middle of refinishing a couple of old wooden crates MC purchased from a friend who is moving away.
Sarah's September wedding is taking shape. At about 150 guests it's become 2-3x larger than we originally planned! We have the site, the caterer, the tents, port-o-potties, and photographer arranged. MC plans to make the "traditional" apple nut cake with cream cheese frosting. She's also weaving a blanket to be used in the Lakota Wedding Ceremony that Sarah and Ethan have planned. That project has turned out to be quite complex, and she's understandably a little stressed about completing it in on time. Sarah returns from Paraguay two days after we get back from Denmark. As "father of the bride" my job is mainly to sign checks and stay out of the way, so I'm planing a 4 day Salmon River trip with my college roommate, Burne soon after we get back to Sandpoint!

Phil

2 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Gee it's great to hear the enthusiasm for food and activity in your blog again. Sounds like everything is going well and you and MC are living life to the fullest! Fabulous. We are so sorry we won't make Sarah's wedding. Mike has a meeting commitment - but we'll be there in spirit and expect to see lots of photos after the event. We're searching around for our next big trip and are considering Buenos Aires and area - which of your kids can give us some advice? I know at least one of them has been down there. Happy travels!! Love ya, Kathy and Mike

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man: All these weddings and I am here in jail with bubba. Keep emailing . Hans Lumpe Pulsifer III

 

Post a Comment

<< Home