Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Back on some Chemo

The suspense of the last few months concerning the steady rise of my IgA levels was finally resolved at my recent NIH visit. The bone marrow revealed recurrent Myeloma. Early, minimal disease, but definitely there. Quite similar to that first recurrence, 9 months after my transplant, in April 2006. At that time two cycles of Velcade and decadron had me back into complete remission (CR) by June. And I remained in CR for nearly 15 months! So we're doing about the same thing again now: 3-4 cycles of Velcade. Dr. Bishop is letting me take the first round without decadron (a strong steroid), as it really messes with my head. If they see a good response after the first cycle (a significant drop in the IgA level), they'll let me continue on the Velcade alone.
That first recurrence in April 2006 was a shock. This time I could see it coming and it was actually a relief to go from wondering to knowing, and doing something about it. I also had a lumbar MRI while at NIH and I was relieved to learn that my left leg pain and weakness of the last few months was simply a bulging disc. Strangely, my left leg has started to improve since I began the Velcade, which is not a known action of this drug, go figure?
Since my last Blog I worked two weeks in Auburn, WA, attended a wedding in Berkeley, spent a couple of weeks at home, and had the re-evaluation at NIH.
Auburn is just south of Seattle, so in my spare time I was able to get together with former college roommates and long time friends Burne, and Ric, and had dinner with Sarah's fiance, Ethan.
The Berkeley wedding was truly multicultural: the daughter of our friends Peter and Patty Coffin wed Natnael, the son of one of Haile Selassie's top men (murdered in the Marxist coup!). It was held at Berkeley's Ethiopian Church with drums dancing, chanting, vestments, crowns... and that was just the ceremony. Later there were piles of delicious Ethiopian food, and more dancing.
During my time at home I made sure I got in plenty of flying including instrument practice, taildragger time, a trip to Walla Walla's wine country, and our annual pilgrimage to Garfield Washington to make cider and pick apples. The latter was a brisk, intermittently sunny, beautiful Fall day, with rolling hills of golden wheat fields, splashes of orange and red. The kind of day you want to slowly savor. I'll think of it every time I have some of that cider!
I stayed with Chinky in Bethesda for my NIH visit. She outdid herself with several incredible chocolate desserts. Also had dinner with Sharon and Peter, and my other college roommate, Roger. I took full advantage of the summer-like weather riding David Scott's 10-speed many miles every day. That really helped me keep all my medical "news" in perspective. A 5:30 AM breakfast with Gerry Marti at the Tastee Diner in Downtown Bethesda has become a staple of these visits that I always look forward to. Tapping into Gerry's vast stores of medical, psychological, and spiritual knowledge is stimulating and fun.
Read one of the most interesting and informative books I've read in a long time. Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan. Highly recommend it.
Yes, George, I did buy the season pass for Schwietzer Mountain. So when are you coming out? No more excuses.
I'm focusing my energies on seeing that IgA way down when we re-check it the end of this month!

1 Comments:

At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil: Eat plenty of chanx and get some rest, you will feel better. My project should be done by February, then I hope to surprise you and Lane by comng out to ski. Regards. Dr. Schlong

 

Post a Comment

<< Home