Wednesday, May 02, 2007

April

The first days of April were spent in Sandpoint. MC and Sarah's equanimity was tested returning from their meditation course - the Honda died outside Seattle on Sunday (April 1st!). The next morning the problem was expeditiously diagnosed and fixed (new electronic ignition) and they were on their way home . It was nice having my "girls" home. Sarah and I went for a long tandem bike ride. I had an early birthday dinner; MC made Coquille St Jacques, and Sarah made an intense, rich chocolate cake with raspberry sauce.
A change in the weather at the last minute prevented me from flying the Comanche to Twin Falls this time, so I had to fly commercial to Boise and pick-up a rental car. On my actual birthday (the 10th) I was happily surprised to have both Natty and Bram "passing through" Twin Falls on their way from separate River Guide courses in Utah, to their own private river trip on the Bruneau and Jarbridge rivers of southern Idaho. We went to an all you can eat sushi place in Twin Falls. (The rice really fills you up all of a sudden!).
On the mid-weekend I drove back to Boise to spend time with Sandy and John. Had great bike rides both Saturday and Sunday.
Some news to brag about this month. Sarah was awarded a Fulbright to study in Paraguay for 9 months beginning around June. Natty landed a full time teaching job at a good private school in Heron, MT, about 41 miles east of here. Bram's talking about working for the Forest Service this summer (though I suspect it has more to do with the fact that his girlfriend, Brenda, is working for them than any serious career plans.) Still, I find it easier to deal with the uncertainty of my own future knowing that the kids might be starting to "settle down". Meanwhile, my lab tests the end of April, looked good. Nancy's immune sytem seems to be keeping the Myeloma "in check".
We've been to Lewiston twice in the last two weeks. We drove directly from Spokane, after MC picked me up returning from Twin Falls, to attend a dinner of our old gourmet club there. Then this last weekend we flew down in the Comanche for the Seaport River Run (10K), and the Art Under The Elms crafts fair - always a good opportunity to see Lewiston friends. We stayed with our friend Harriet, and had dinner with Natty, Bram and Brenda, who were also coincidentally in Lewiston. The last time I'd run the "Seaport" was two years ago, in the middle of chemo - needless to say I did a lot better this time! At Art Under The Elms I ran into Lane. (George, if she hadn't just had lunch, we could've had Chanx together at one of the food concessions!)
As soon as this current spate of (much needed) rainy weather passes through we'll be headed for the Southwest in the Comanche. We'll be sightseeing and visiting friends along the way and then rendezvous with 7 friends and both of my sisters in Flagstaff for our long awaited 15 day Grand Canyon float trip. Should be fantastic!

1 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr.Dong: Hold the thought of Lane and the 2 Milton baffoons having chanx someday. Dr. Schlong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home