End of September

The end of August we had our family Middle Fork Salmon River trip. Natty had a rough start. He ate some bad sushi in Missoula, and ended up on IV's in the Salmon hospital overnight! The ER doctor who took care of him was the brother of my Med School room mate. Small world! After that everything went smoothly. There was a lot of smoke from numerous forest fires in central Idaho, but the weather was perfect. It was very relaxing to have our professional river guide children lead the trip. They knew all the rapids, the best campsites, and great hikes. The six days were over all too quickly.
I had all of two days to get unpacked and organized before I left for my first Anesthesia job in eighteen months in Chinle, AZ. I flew to Boise first, and spent a day with MC's brother John, and wife Sandy. John and I rode the Bogus Basin Hill Climb (16 mile bike ride up to Boise's ski area), and the three of us took in Boise's annual "Arts in the Park".
The week in Chinle went very well. It's a small hospital serving the local Navajo population. Good mix of surgeries. Relaxed pace. Nice patients. I took call four of the seven days, and felt quite comfortable. I had to laugh at myself for being so concerned about my capabilities after being away from anesthesia so long. It is, to a large degree, "like riding a bike" as they say. I'm going down for another one week assignment there this coming Sunday. The flying weather has been perfect. The sharp Autumn lighting on Bryce Canyon was spectacular. While in Chinle I hiked down into the Canyon de Chelly to one of the 12th century Anasazi ruins. Magical place!
The nice thing about doing Locums work, is that when I'm working away from home I totally focus on Anesthesiology, and when I'm home, I can fully enjoy Sandpoint, and focus on home projects. I've harvested all our basil and made tons of pesto. We easily have enough for the next two years! I took one last row in the shell and put it away for the season. I flew our friends Kathy and Phil down to Garfield, WA for our annual cider pressing. I'm working with a new flight instructor to get my Tailwheel endorsement. (so I can fly backcountry airplanes.)
I got my September labwork back. Everything continues to look good. Each month, during those few days awaiting the results, that nagging fear percolates to the surface, "what if...?". Then I see the numbers are good, sigh with relief, and plunge into another month of this gift of health!
Phil

8 Comments:
Dang it Phil, I forgot to get some basil! And I am extremely jealous of your hike to the ruins! It was great seeing you! Soon again I hope. We had a great time, Peggy
Phil: You gave me a great culinary idea: basil cum chanx!!!
Phil and Mary Cathrine, You two never cease to amaze me with your travels and energy!!! I love living vicariously however so keep up the blogging...
Chanx, chanx, chanx..... What to do with you buddy!!! That is the question????
Please Phil if I am ever at your home and you are serving pesto.. let it be yours and not Chanx's!!!
Have a great... month!!!
lane
Okay, I already harvested my basil; for the first time, I had what I thought was a ton. I would like to know your routine, from the picking to the pesto. And how do you keep enough for two years?
I cannot imagine riding up to Bogus Basin! But then, I didn't think I'd ride from Minneapolis to St. Paul, either, and that's a hop and a skip now. Biking is my main mode of transportation now. No major hills, though, let alone mountains! How long did it take? And were you guys so competitive with each other you forgot to have fun? I'm not sure how long my biking will last, with winter coming, apparently on Thursday. Yikes!
So, Mary Catherine, after Phil makes all that pesto (remind him he's supposed to give me his own particular recipe), what are some good recipes to use it in? We have like two, and they're not the greatest.
Say, when you coming out this way again? Man, you guys are all over the map!
See you soon, maybe?
Love, Elizabeth
Lane: Chanx not pesto!!! Dr. D.
Lane: Phil and I may have chanx in Boston nexy week.
Chanx.... Is Boston the best place to have chanx?!!! Lane
Dear Lane: Definitely the best place for chanx. Phil and I were going to dine on chanx but I had to see my probation officer. Dr.D**g
Post a Comment
<< Home