Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Philancy at 6 Months

Leaving tomorrow for my 6 month re-staging and last round of the anti-myeloma vaccine. The second three months has gone more swiftly than the first. Other than the "stomach thing" in early November, and the hypothyroidism it has been, thankfully, uneventful. I'm feeling better on the initial low dose of thyroid replacement; minimal "cold intolerance" now, more energy and strength, though not "normal", for me. I feel like I've skipped directly from early middle aged to old age. MC says my expectations are too high and I'm impatient - she's probably right.
I have been trying to ski in the last couple of weeks - one day of Alpine and two Telemarking. Frustrating. Skiing well requires quick reflexes, strength, flexibilty, coordination - all of which I currently lack. On this next visit to Bethesda I again have some "downtime" (i.e no tests or appointments) between Sunday the 15th AM and Clinic and departure for home on Thursday the 19th. So I'm planning another "side trip" - to Boston, but in addition to visiting my folks, I plan to ski one day at Stratton, in Vermont, with my old buddy George (the "Chanx" guy, to those of you who have been following this Blog). George has a cabin right at the ski area. I was hoping to get in one more day of Alpine skiing today to be "ready" for George, but they closed our ski area, Schweitzer, today due to "heavy snow and high winds"! (Down here in town, at 2500' lower elevation we're experiencing just heavy rain/snow). At first I was upset, but then I decided it was probably just as well. In typical Phil-fashion I had planned too much for this last day in town, and was going to be pressed for time even if I left the slopes early. Now I have a much more relaxed day ahead of me, time to do things I've been putting off: update the Blog, play guitar, make some bread, read, "fly" my simular. This should be nice.
Holidays started out rocky with news that the son of a close friend in Lewiston, Dale McGreer, had killed himself. Dale had just lost his other son, under bizarrely similar circumstances, 18 months ago. Incomprehensible! We quickly gathered with our Lewiston-Clarkston friends, but what can you possibly say, what can you do??!
Jessie and Zak Sears, and Eve Barnett came up with Bram for Christmas and skiing. Sarah's partner Ethan was in Sandpoint with his dad Matt and uncle Hal too, so we had a nice BIG Christmas dinner. We made a "family road trip" to a hotsprings in western Montana (about 2.5 hrs away)a couple of days after Christmas. My airplane went in for it's required Annual (inspection), so I've been over at the airport frequently, trying to help in any way I can and learn as much as possible, without getting in the way.
MC and I had a quiet New Years Eve. I'm glad to have 2005 behind me!

8 Comments:

At 3:21 AM, Blogger Lane said...

So glad to hear everything is still going well. It was great to see you two over Christmas even though the reason you were in town was very sad. Hope all is well with that family also. Let us know how your most recent visit to NIH. Keep well!!

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,

Just received a copy of your 'Holiday Greetings 2005' and was pleased to read of your progress and good cheer. If you make it up to Stratton, give my best to George. All the best! Marc Binder

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Newsflash: Phil had CHANX in Wellesley, MA. today!!!!

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here I am prowling the net for some Chanx!!!!!!!!!

 
At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the word Chanx should be upgraded to a verb. Whaddaya say? Chanx me! Gimme Chanx! Watch it, or I'll Chanx you!

Chanx for now...

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Chanx: I agree with the last two messages. Chanx forever!

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give me liberty or give me Chanx!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To All Chanx: My girlfriend and I are having CHANX tonight, so not disturb us. See it is a verb.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home