Sunday, October 30, 2005

"no evidence of residual multiple myeloma"!

I'm happy to be back in Sandpoint from my 8 day Bethesda & Atlanta trip.
The news from my 100 day re-staging was very good - the Bone Marrow exam was read as "no evidence of residual multiple myeloma"! If I remain in remission for another 2 years I have a 90-95% chance of being "cured". So far, so good.
My other tests included some lung functions (PFTs) that showed a mild drop in vital capacity and diffusion, vs prior to the transplant. This explains the mild shortness of breath I've been experiencing the last month. The NIH doctors had no specific reason for this, but were confident that, now that they're starting to taper me off the Cyclosporine (the immuno suppressant), this, and the other minor problems I've noted lately (muscle and tendon soreness, ankle swelling),should gradually resolve. Indeed, by the time I was seen again at the end of the week, after 7 days on the reduced dose, I was beginning to note improvement.
My side trip to the ASA in Atlanta went well. The meeting was stimulating - reminding me how interesting and fun Anesthesiology can be. I wistfully reminded myself that I need to stick to my plan to put off returning to work for a year after transplant to hopefully avoid setbacks. I enjoyed my stay there in Atlanta with Mike and Brenda Chafin. It's wonderful to see that we still have so much in common after 30+ years. Mike's even taken up serious cycling in the last year. He's lost over 30 lbs and is a fast, strong rider - as I found out on an early morning ride out towards Stone Mountain!
My first day back in Sandpoint I went to our local athletic club and tried the weight machines. I was astounded to discover that I had to drop the settings 25-30% from my last session in June before we left for Bethesda. Just another challenge on the long road back to recovery.
Yesterday was spent on Priest Lake meeting Meg and Tony Goffredo from San Diego. Meg is a lifelong friend of our Lewiston friend Sue Schaefer. Tony is about my age and was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma two years ago. I've been in touch with him by e-mail and phone since Sue told me about him last year. His myeloma has remained stable at a low level, so he hasn't required any treatment. How someone as healthy as Tony got this is even more contrary to conventional wisdom than my case. He's been a vegetarian for 35 years,and he's a marathoner and tri-athlete. First thing everyday he runs for an hour. Then for fun he'll either bicycle 20 miles, golf 18 holes, ski or surf!
Well, I have mail, bills, journals, and "honey-do's" to catch up on. Didn't get much done on that first, brief, stay a couple of weeks ago. I also need to resume my guitar practice that has been on hold during the x-country drive and my recent 8 day trip.

Phil

6 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news and glad you're back! You just gotta stick with your resolve to keep yourself as safe as possible. Health is a strange and fickle condition I guess. Hope you will come our way soon. Happy Halloween!

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so great to "hear" you're feeling better and better. Although your return to your prior level of sinew and vigor may seem asymptotic, the rest of us are still gasping at the rate of rise from the pre-induction chemo days...

sending buckies of love..me, the D and the other immunosupressed one!

 
At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear D. The cure is of course obvious to even the most casual observer: CHANX!

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was GREAT to see you in Atlanta (doing so well, especially), though the visit was short and Sarah wasn't able to see you because she was under the weather. Thanks for the visit... hopefully we'll be able to see you and M.C. together the next time around!

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Lane said...

I am so glad to hear that you continue to do well. I am sorry that I ever had a any doubt!! sorry to have missed you on your way through. I am continuously amazed at how busy you remain and how well you seem to feel. Keep it up and let me know if you two get down this way. Give MC a big squeeze!!
lane

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Sandpointians (?),

Great to hear how well you've been doing. (Is there any kind of survey that says only extremely physically fit people who exercise too much get this disease?? (In which case, of course, I would have no worries...)

Sorry to miss you on the way back, but if you have to go to Bethesda again, we could try doing that airport thing again!

Love and hugs to you both!
Elizabeth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home