Thursday, July 27, 2006

July

As expected July has been a busy month. It started right on the 1st with the Fly-in at the Airport I'd been planning for months . We had beautiful weather and participation exceeded our expectations: close to 1000 visitors, 80+ aircraft, and close to 500 breakfasts served. Now everyone wants us to do it again next year. How do I get myself into these things?!
That evening we flew down to Spokane and picked up Chinky - the super host for my trips to Bethesda in the last year-and-a-half. The beautiful weather continued (basically we've had non stop dry sunny days since mid June!) allowing us to take Chinky on hikes, to 4th of July Fireworks, a BBQ, sailing, and a day trip on the Clark Fork River with the company Natty guides for. On the 8th we "gave her a lift" across the Canadian Rocky's to her next hosts in Calgary. Spectacular scenery!

The next weekend I joined John Hanley for the STP (Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic) - 206 miles! John was riding to raise money for the Leukemia and Lynphoma Foundation in my honor! About 100 of my friends and family contributed placing John amongst the leading fundraisers. He was impressed. I was overwhelmed and humbled. Thank-you everyone - you know who you are! The weather was perfect both days (100 miles day 1; 106 miles day 2). I felt great when I finished. Occurring right on the anniversary of my Stem Cell transplant it contrasted dramatically with my situation a year ago. To say I've come a long way is an understatement!

The middle of the next week I had my one month post DLI (see Previous Blog posting) follow up at NIH. All my "numbers" looked good, and they told me that as long as my monthly lab tests continue to indicate complete remission, I need not return until late October!

The day after I returned we were back in the Comanche headed for George Marshall's wedding in Hamilton Montana. George and I became friends through our shared interest in flying. He was my instuctor for my Instrument rating 4 years ago. It was quite an honor to be his Best Man.

My plan to work a few days in the local OR didn't pan out so I've had time to work on some projects around the house: new front steps, refinishing the front & back porches, painting the trim. The house has been a little neglected with my being "preoccupied" the last two years. It feels good to be sprucing it up some. Mary Catherine has been very busy tending to her vegetable/herb garden, flowers, and berries. She's been delighted with the yield, but very busy keeping up with the watering, weeding, and slug patrol.

This weekend we're flying our Silver Spring friends, Sharon & Peter to breakfast on Priest Lake's Cavanaugh Bay. The last time I was there was just prior to our cross country drive to Bethesda last summer. This should be another potent reminder of how fortunate I've been this last year. We have another wedding, this one in Lewiston, Saturday evening. We're staying with our friends Cindy & Jim Fisher. They're ardent hikers so we expect to hike Moscow Mountain with them Sunday Morning. Then I head to Richland, WA for a twelve day Locum Tenens job. My first real work in 17 months! This will be another significant milestone in my recovery.

When I return we have a great Blues concert at the Festival at Sandpoint: Susan Tedeschi and Etta James. I'll be ready to celebrate!

3 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on people,write some comments.

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on people. Has anybody chanxed lately????

 
At 3:10 AM, Blogger Lane said...

Phil;
techno-impaired Steve Hornbeck taking a moment to say hello via the good graces of Lane here at work. Just got done reading your latest entry on Tour-de-Phil and am happy to hear how well you're doing. Have been out on my bike around home rehabing my latest knee scope(#4 done 6/11) and things are going well. Thrilled and impressed you were able to ride along in the Seattle to Portland trip, very cool!Keep your head up and keep kickin' this thing's butt. Hi to M.K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home