A Very Good Month
My four weeks working at the University of Washington went well. The purpose was to refresh and expand my Anesthesia skills and knowledge. I functioned essentially as a Resident - working with a different faculty "attending" every day, each with their own area of expertise. I did a wide range of challenging cases,often requiring extensive monitoring, special airway tools, etc. I was up at 4:30am each morning, in the OR by 6:30am, and usually finished by 5:00 or 6:00PM. There were regular lectures and seminars. I received very favorable feedback when I checked out on the 26th.
Staying in MC's cousin Julia and Tom's nice basement apartment worked out well. We occasionally took turns cooking dinners for each other and generally enjoyed each other's company. My commute was a 25 minute bicycle ride down the Burke-Gilman Trail. Seattle received 2" of snow during my second week, but the bike trail was still rideable. I was able to attend the Memorial for Sarah's partner Ethan's Dad, Matt, who had valiantly fought a very aggressive cancer for a year. Not surprisingly the mourners were a diverse and interesting group. Matt would've enjoyed it.
My last two weeks were a whirlwind of social engagements with friends spanning from College roommates (Burne and Ric) to acquaintances from my days as a Navy doctor in Bremerton (Hunter and Elaine, Dennis and Tinsley) as well as family: my nephew Seppi and his beautiful young family.
I was home in Sandpoint all of one day and then off to Bethesda for my 18 month post transplant check-up. My med school classmate Steve and his wife Melpa picked me up at Dulles, and joined me for a delicious feast at Chinky's with my sister Nancy ("the perfect donor"), Peter and Sharon. The latter four are all on the Grand Canyon river trip with MC and I in May. At NIH everything looked good - blood work, bone marrow. I decided to order a folding bicycle that I'd demoed at a store in College Park Maryland on Wednesday. I can take it in my airplane, or on the Airlines,for my work assignments and never be "bikeless" again.
February 12th I begin eleven days at the hospital in Twin Falls Idaho. After my month at the University I know I will feel more comfortable than I did when I first worked there in November. It's nice to be "back".

1 Comments:
Phil: Come east and let us go skiing,ice or no ice. Regards to Lane. Dr. Chanx!
Post a Comment
<< Home