Sunday, April 01, 2007

No lab this month

My doctor at NIH has decided we only need to check my lab every other month now - so no tests this month to report. I like to interpret this as his having greater confidence in the durability of my remission.

The first week of March was spent enjoying my time in Sandpoint with MC and friends. My airplane was fresh out of its required annual maintenance and inspection. For a "shakedown flight" I flew down to Lewiston to visit Harriet and Joe, and I also got in some Instrument flying practice with George (my former co-owner). The Comanche performed flawlessly. I'm very fortunate to have a very conscientious and skilled airplane mechanic right here in Sandpoint.

On Saturday the 10th it looked good for flying south, but weather was forecast to block my path on Sunday. So after hosting our friends Phil & Kathy for breakfast, I drove the VW bus to the airport, strapped myself into the Comanche, and 2 and a half hours later I was in Boise! Had a wonderful dinner and overnight stay with my brother-in-law John and Sandy, borrowed one of John's bikes for a Sunday morning ride, and made the final 45 minute hop to Twin Falls in the afternoon.

The two weeks in Twin Falls went quickly. I took advantage of the Spring-like weather the weekend of the 17th, with a bike ride on Saturday with Bill, who works in the OR there, and a quick flight on Sunday up to Sun Valley to visit the Kittleson's who moved there from Sandpoint about 7 years ago.
I was heartened to learn that my Dad had successfully moved home from the Rehab facility making good progress in his recovery from his femur fracture last month. (Now the daunting task of convincing the parents to move to a simpler safer household near my sisters on Long Island ....before the next "crisis"!).

Sarah had persuaded MC to attend a 10 day Vipassana Meditation course with her that ran March 21st - April 1st. Faced with returning to an empty house when I finished in Twin Falls on the 23rd, I instead pointed the Comanche SW to Chico, CA. Claudia and Steve (Med school classmate) were more than gracious last minute hosts in their beautifully renovated "villa" in the old residential section of Chico. It was full-on Spring there - lilacs and azaleas in bloom, trees and lawns green . We had a great time talking, bicycling, cooking and eating. Saw "the Lives of Others" at their local arts theatre. It won the 2006 Oscar for "Best Foreign Film". I highly recommend it.

Weather prevented my return to Sandpoint until this last Wednesday. I had a beautiful, long flight past Mount Shasta, the Three Sisters, and the Blue Mountains of eastern Oregon. Glad to be home. Only a week now before I leave for Twin Falls again. But this will be my last two week stint until early June. In May we have the Grand Canyon river trip! We've been planning this for over a year. The anticipation is building!

Phil

1 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

from the blog before, I am jealous you went skiing in Yellowstone! Now I am back in PA with a flu or something and greatful that MC was able to come over. I really should get on the bike. Take care, Peggy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home