Sunday, July 08, 2007

Two Years ago

On this date two years ago I received my first dose of the Transplant Chemo with the intention of wiping the bone marrow clean before receiving Nancy's stem cells. A mild recurrence in April 2006 suggested that a small part of the Myeloma clone had apparently survived. But after two rounds of chemo I was miraculously back in complete remission (CR). They consolidated that remission by giving me some of Nancy's Lymphocytes (a Donor Lymphocyte Infusion - DLI). I've had a remarkably sustained CR for 12 months, though there is chemical evidence that the clone persists, presumably held in check by Nancy's immune system. In the last year-and-a-half I've lived life to the fullest returning to Anesthesia part time, regaining most of my former strength and endurance, getting my pilots license back and flying nearly 250 hours, and fulfilling the dream of floating the Grand Canyon with close friends and family. If anyone had told me two years ago that I would be able to do all these things I'd have thought they were crazy. The end of this month I return to Bethesda for my two year follow-up, consisting of a full battery of tests looking for evidence of residual Myeloma. I'm a little concerned because my IgA level - the protein the Myeloma makes - has risen modestly in the last two months, though it's still in their "normal range". I'll know more when I review my tests with Dr. Bishop on July 31st.

Until then it's just more "enjoy every day to the fullest". These last 5 weeks have certainly lived up to that motto. I started June with two enjoyable weeks working in Twin Falls. On the way home I laid over in Lewiston. MC had driven down with my bicycle. I participated in the annual "I Made The Grade" ride. My time was ten minutes slower than in 2001 - not bad, considering. Then we drove up to Marcie and Nick's in Kooskia, ID and Nick and I floated the Lochsa River on Fathers' Day with Natty as our River Guide. A week later MC and I flew the Comanche to Calgary, Alberta for the annual meeting of the Canadian Anesthesiologists' Society. We combined education with fun including celebrating our 34th Anniversary! (Where would I be without the love of this amazing woman?) Last weekend we flew over to Seattle, stayed with MC's brother Joe, and attended the wedding of Bram's lifelong best friend Jesse Sears. It was a short hop from there to Port Angeles to help a couple of days in the care of Mary Catherine's parents, who require essentially continuous support. We returned to Sandpoint on the 4th, fireworks, and uninterrupted perfect summer weather.
A week from now I'll fly to Sun Valley to work for a week. Then I leave for Bethesda on the 24th. Wish me luck!

Phil

3 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil: Happy anniversary to you and MC. Dr. Chanx

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Phil I'm thinking of you in that superman gear -- so scale those bldgs,traffic, unwelcome cells, and DC humidity!! Reminds me of the priest at the Carmelite monastery here is Cleveland. Remember how he commented on the climate, political and otherwise? We might not have the Grand Canyon in Ohio, but you must stop and see the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, and a day trip to Hocking Hills, which should be declared a National Park, with trails and rock formations unique to the midwest. After that--cheesecake. Love you, and yours, Prayin' Barbara

 
At 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy that things continue to go well. Summer down here in the valley has been a hot one...
Trying to keep all the animals cool has been a challenge. Although my sweet timer is a blessing. Good news for me.... I am going to be a grandma!!! In February!! Brittany and Aaron are expecting a baby!! she miss carried last fall but all is well with this one so far!! Anyway life just does keep marching forward.

Love, light and laughter..
lane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home