Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Another DLI for good measure

Tests at NIH the end of July were overall good. The IgA (presumably made by a very small persistent clone of Myeloma cells) had increased only modestly, and the bone marrow was read as "normal". However, Dr Bishop saw "a few" cells similar to those seen in January 2006 (preceding the recurrence in April 2006), and suggested we repeat the DLI (donor lymphocyte infusion) to boost my immune response to the Myeloma. We may know if it's working as early as my next lab tests the end of August, or certainly by my follow-up appointment the first week in October.

While back at NIH I stayed with Chinky in Bethesda. She has a new "Molten Chocolate" dessert that did wonders for my magnesium levels! I was also able to make a side trip to visit my parents on their annual Nantucket sojourn: plenty of sun, sand, surf, fog, bluefish, and lobster! My Dad was delighted to discover that he could still surf cast well in spite of not being completelyly recovered from his femur fracture last February. My folks are really amazing for 89!

We've experienced non stop sunny warm weather here in Idaho this July. No problem flying the Comanche to Sun Valley for my week working there. I've enjoyed a wide range of summer activities: swimming in the lake, sailing, bicycling, Fly-ins, kayaking, outdoor concerts, BBQ's. And visitors. Cindy, Cassie Mae, and Avery escaped the heat of Moscow Idaho for a weekend here, Bram and Brenda were up for a couple of days, and Sarah and Ethan came home to announce their engagement for sometime after she returns from her Fulbright project in Paraguay, probably in September 2008. Ethan's a wonderful young man. This news brought Mary Catherine and I great joy.

On the downside I learned that Steve, a zestful, outgoing friend and neighbor of Mary Catherine's cousin Julia, was just diagnosed with stage 3 Myeloma. As is so often tragically the case, there were obvious signs over a year ago. I'm doing whatever I can to get him lined up with some effective treatment, and bolster his spirits. It doesn't seem that Myeloma is the rare cancer it used to be.

1 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your help to Steve. Your comment about Myeloma got me to thinking. I've forgotten the details, but you once explained how the disease was discovered earlier in your case, and it seemed to me at the time that it was something we maybe could and should all be looking out for. Now with Steve's situation, I'd like a review, doctor...... If not on the blog, maybe on Orcas?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home