Saturday, June 12, 2010

Logistics

If you're inspired to bring finger food or beverages to the gathering on Sunday, please do. If you're feeling uninspired or are coming from out of town, don't worry about bringing anything; we have a crew of folks who are bringing plenty extra.


Regarding the in lieu of flowers memorial fund: We've opened an account at a local bank. Please make checks out to Mary Catherine Role and write IN MEMORY OF PHIL in the "For" line.

Lots of folks are flying into the Spokane airport. We may be able to help connect people who need rides with people who are renting cars. You can help us by calling Bram (208-610-5576) and telling him your arrival time and whether you need or can offer a ride.

7 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Blogger Nancy Karp said...

Dear Mary Catherine, Natty, Bram and Sarah and to all of Phil's family,
I was so sad to read your email about Phil's death yesterday. You don't know me and I don't really know you but my father was Philip's pediatrician in Quincy and I know that they were fond of each other. A few years ago I was tossing out some old papers from my dad's office-he had died about 20 years before and the papers were getting moldy in my basement. I felt the need to look at everything before I got rid of it in case there was anything important. I was touched when I came across Phil's medical school invitation to my father, with a note attached about his future plans. I had a vague recollection of this and who Phil was and my mother filled in the details. I was so glad that after searching I finally found your address and was able to have a brief correspondence with Phil. I know that my father would have liked that. Phil told me about his illness and sent some photos which I shared with my mother. For some odd reasons. I often got some kind of pop-ups on my computer with Phil's name on it-they were ads for people searches which I ignored. Just this week though I saw one and I thought about writing to see how he was, but......before I did, I got your email.
I read some of the blog-he certainly was an amazing guy and you all were lucky to have him in your life-I am only sorry I never knew him. I do hope that memories of happy times will help you through the difficult times ahead. Perhaps he will meet up with his old friend /mentor Dr Karp and they will talk shop and have some good laughs together.
I told my mother about this and she too sends her condolences.
My thoughts are with you
Nancy Karp

 
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Suss! said...

Dear Mary Catherine, Natty, Bram, Sarah and to the entire Family,

My experience with Phil was a humbling one, along with so many of my other classmates at Milton Academy ('67). Our class then and now depicts how our differences DO contribute to a greater synergy when folks just respect each other.

I am truly encouraged by Phil's Life and though he is asleep according to my biblical Christian Faith, I know that he is alive in the hearts of all those who loved him and are loved by him:

"Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the
rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage each other with these words."

[1 Thessalonians - The Holy Bible (New International Version)]

Please accept my sincerest condolences and feel free to phone me at (678) 467-9927. I reside in Atlanta, GA and cannot make it to the Celebration of Phillip Role's life. I'm there in Spirit.

Respectfully,

Rev. Dr. John Milton Sussewell
a/k/a "Suss!

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Kerry Fitzharris said...

Dear Mary Catherine, Bram, Natty, and Sarah,

I just got back from Berkeley last night and read the sad news about Phil. I immediately tried to find a sub to take my place at The Flicks tonight, so that I could jump in the car for Sandpoint and be there with everyone at the celebration. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a replacement at the 11th hour. I'm incredibly sorry. I wanted so very much to be there.

I remember how Phil would always ask me for movie recommendations, which he'd write on the tiniest slip of paper in his wallet. I'll watch a movie in his honor tonight, and pretend he's sitting next to me.

Oh, we're going to miss him so much, aren't we?!
My heart is with you all.

With warmth,
Kerry Fitzharris

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Kerry Fitzharris said...

Dear Mary Catherine, Bram, Natty, and Sarah,

I just got back from Berkeley last night and read the sad news about Phil. I immediately tried to find a sub to take my place at The Flicks tonight, so that I could jump in the car for Sandpoint and be there with everyone at the celebration. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a replacement at the 11th hour. I'm incredibly sorry. I wanted so very much to be there.

I remember how Phil would always ask me for movie recommendations, which he'd write on the tiniest slip of paper in his wallet. I'll watch a movie in his honor tonight, and pretend he's sitting next to me.

Oh, we're going to miss him so much, aren't we?!
My heart is with you all.

With warmth,
Kerry Fitzharris

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Kerry Fitzharris said...

Dear Mary Catherine, Sarah, Bram, and Natty,

I'm so, so sorry to hear about Phil. I Just came back from Berkeley last night, and immediately set out to find a sub for me for The Flicks tonight. Unfortunately, no one stepped up, so I won't be able to be there. I will be thinking about you, and will sit in a movie tonight and think of him and how many times he would take out his little slip of paper to jot down recommendation for good movies.

He was a brave, witty, and splendid person. It won't be the same without him.

Love,
Kerry Fitzharris

 
At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Gerdi said...

Dear Mary Catherine and family,

Nancy just informed about the sad news. I just wanted to say that both Ed and I really enjoyed meeting Phil and staying at your house more than 10 years ago, when we drove across country from NY to OR. That was the first time we met Phil (later we met at various family events at the Mendell's house on Long Island). Phil was an incredibly memorable person. We were AMAZED by his unbelievable energy and enthusiasm (he even talked us into joining him for some river rafting tour the next day!). It was also amazing that he faced the ordeal of his disease and various tough treatment regimens with equal energy, optimism and a most admirable braveness. He will definitely be missed!

Our thoughts are with you,

Gerdi and Ed

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary Catherine, Natty, Bram and Sarah It was with sadness that I read of Phil's passing. We had lost touch since he left Lewiston so I was not aware of his health problems. Phil was one of my favorite doctors at Valley Medical Ctr. and my personal physician. I always admired him for his intense physical fitness, his personal values and the care he gave his patients. He coached me at time trials on the down river road. I will always remember him as a friend I would have liked to have know better. Bob Baker

 

Post a Comment

<< Home