Home
Sarah here, writing for my dad.
Dad is back in Idaho, where doctors have declared complete renal failure, myeloma kidney. Dialysis could artificially prolong survival. However given the rapid advance of the cancer and the absence of any treatment likely to attain remission, my dad has politely declined a future of tri-weekly dates with a mechanical kidney. Instead, he will go home on hospice.
So today marks dad’s final visit to any place resembling a hospital. He agreed to one last dialysis session, heeding the nephrologist’s view that doing so would keep him clear-headed long enough for Bram to hike out of the Grand Canyon and fly home. Natty is nearby in Clark Fork and I have been home since Friday.
Dad welcomes brief visits from anyone who wishes to see him. He prefers not to take phone calls, so if you can’t visit, please mail a letter to our home address: 413 S. 2nd Ave. Sandpoint, ID, 83864.
You may have noticed that emails sent to prole@imbris.com are bouncing. The imbris account is defunct and we expect to be without home Internet access until June 22nd, unless our new provider can hasten the install date. Therefore, please use roleinator68ATgmail.com and pardon our slow response time while we are limited to retrieving email at cafés and libraries.
We are in the process of planning a memorial service, to be held within days of Dad’s demise. (I would say it more gently but dad has never liked euphemisms). Please stay tuned to the blog for updates.
If you would like to discuss visiting from out of town or offers of help, please call Sarah on her cell phone at 206-914-7948. If my bilingual voicemail picks up, either leave a message or try our land line, 208-265-8610.

10 Comments:
Oh, Sarah. I got up at 4:30 this morning and something was in the air when I walked outside. A disturbance in the force, yes truly.
Dale and I send our love to the gathering strength that comprises your family, to share with your Dad.
Betsy
Phil, Mary Catherine, Natty, Bram and Sarah, please know that we are thinking about you and the long, courageous fight you have all endured. We have been watching the blog for the past several days, waiting for an update. So sorry to hear that the fight is over. Please keep us informed as to events and plans. If there is anything we can do from afar, let us know.
With love and prayers
Michael and Brenda Chafin
Sorry to hear about your dad, Phil. I admire his thoughtful and intelligent reaction to the situation. I know his last days will be filled with love.
Hi Phil, Mary Catherine, Sarah, Natty, and Bram,
Phil (Druker) and I just want you to know that you are in our thoughts. We have been in awe of your fight and will. You are truly a remarkable person, Phil. Know that we are sending much love to you. Jeannie and Phil
The Cherrylane clan, down here on the Clearwater, is saddened to hear the latest new on Phil's condition. However, Phil's epic battle over the last decade has been an inspiration for us.
Please keep us informed about the MS.
Steve and D
The Cherrylane clan, down here on the Clearwater, is saddened to hear the latest new on Phil's condition. However, Phil's epic battle over the last decade has been an inspiration for us.
Please keep us informed about the MS.
Steve and D
I was just biking along the Potomac here in DC and thought I'd better check up on Phil. I am very sorry to hear about Phil's downward slide. He is an inspiration to me in so many ways: skiing, Vipassana, thinking about staying healthy, and dealing with death. And his physical and mental toughness. I join Jeannie in sending you all strong hugs and much love.
Phil Druker
Phil,
Nobody has defined the spirit of carpe diem better than you. I am thankful to you for the lesson.
Mike Sanguinetti
MC: My next time at Zio Paolo's I will raise a glass to you and Phil. Thank him for being my friend for 55 years. Dr Schlong
Such a mentor. Even before nancy was groacked into his true spiritual soul. 'we lpove you all!
Post a Comment
<< Home