River Trip, Update
The Main Salmon river trip went very well. The weather was nice: it started out slightly cool and sunny, followed by a couple of days of intermittent showers, then sunny and warm. We had an excellent crew of 21 experienced, easy going, multitalented folks who all pitched in with the rowing and cooking, mixed well, and generally enjoyed each other. Sarah provided nightly yoga classes, and Bram, Chase, and Katey played guitar and sang. The Canyon was beautiful, greener then usual. The higher water level made the rapids technically easier, but still lots of fun! Though I had "won" the permit and organized the trip, I honestly often did not feel up to being trip leader. But throughout the trip people seamlessly picked up my slack and made things work. For this I am very grateful. Lest I should ever forget the Myeloma, on the 3rd day my right leg became swollen - apparently the previously noted right pelvic mass was impeding blood return from that leg. This limited my activities somewhat, and raised some concerns, but I still did lots of rowing, a day in the inflatable kayak with Burne, and had a good time.
When we returned to Sandpoint a CT scan confirmed that the right pelvic mass was bigger than in early June. Fortunately there was no clot in the vein, and within two doses of chemo the swelling began to subside, suggesting that, at the very least, we were getting some effect from the steroids.
As noted in the last blog the chemo is given in a 28 day cycle consisting of 4 doses over 11 days followed by 17 days "recovery". I have some mood and energy ups and downs from the intermittent steroids, but otherwise tolerate the chemo well.
On June 22nd, to celebrate MC's 60th birthday, we paddled our kayaks across the lake with two other couples for lunch at a waterside restaurant. Last week Chinky visited us on a side trip from her friends' in Canmore Alberta, Canada. One day we did some serious blueberry picking. Then, with Sharon and Peter, we all hiked to Harrison Lake, a beautiful alpine lake in the Selkirk Mountains.
Last Friday we flew the Comanche over to the San Juan Islands. We stayed at MC's cousin Julia's and husband Tom's house which is spectacularly situated on a rocky point at the end of Orcas Island. We feasted on fresh crabs, shrimp, and oysters! We also were able to hook up with our Sandpoint friends Phil and Kate, who are spending their whole summer cruising in their sailboat in the San Juans, and had a wonderful time sailing with them and staying one night on their boat.On Sunday we zipped over to Port Townsend for a brief visit with MC's sister Bonnie, and Joe, and also with her sister Peggy and brother John and wife Sandy
I noticed Monday, about one week after the last dose of the chemo, that the swelling was beginning to return in the right leg. So I guess the jury is still out on how effective this new regime is. I'll know more when we do lab work next week. Meanwhile we're looking forward to a brief visit with Sarah and Ethan this weekend as well as MC's brother Joe, Michelle and family.
Unless things change, this will be pretty much the pattern for the next few months: chemo and staying close to home the first 11 days, and then 17 days to play and travel. I intend to make the most of it!

5 Comments:
Just want you to know that your blog is read by Many. Keep on enjoying the play and travel days.
love
nancy
Now, I thought I was pretty good at playing but I believe you've got me beat hands down. Good to see you're cramming so much into that play time.
We had a great motor trip down south to the Scout reunion and 50th HS reunion. Traveled almost 6,000 miles and got geocaches in 18 states.
Now we're gearing up for Hallie's wedding in Seattle at the end of the month.
Hey Phil and MC,
Sorry to hear the leg is still a problem. Hopefully it will clear up soon. We are still enjoying photos from our Idaho trip and still wishing we were back on the river. Mike and I have done a bit of kayaking since we've been back and will do more once it cools off a bit. Keep up the good times! Love ya, Kathy
Harriet sent me pictures so I could enjoy the Salmon trip vicariously. Dale and I are inspired to put in for a permit also.
We missed you at the Schaefer corn bust. Oh my. Fresh killed corn, tomatoes and brats. I hope you two can make the next dinner.
Take care and love to MC.
Betsy
Floodtidings Bro,
How many miles have you logged with your birds, brother Phil? I especially enjoyed our flight from Ellensburg to Spokane for the insights provided on the terrain of the eastern Washington scablands and the evidence of the glacial floods. Still wish that I had had the time and the bladder for your cross-country flight. And how many trips down Idaho's rivers, many of which we shared. I applied for and lost in this year's river rafting lottery. Take care of mind, body, soul and family, we friends love and appreciate you. Ebbtidings, burne
Post a Comment
<< Home