A Quick Update...
...before we leave for our Salmon River float trip (July 9 - 16th).
Since the last blog: I attended a four day Anesthesia meeting in Vancouver, BC. First time I've been to Vancouver since our honeymoon exactly 36 years ago. Stunningly beautiful, vibrant, progressive city. The contrast with any American city is stark. Beautiful trees, flowers, parks. Very residential, and bicycle-pedestrian friendly. Within a few blocks of our hotel we dined on a different nationality every evening! The natives were young, multicultural, vigorous and healthy looking. Canadians have their priorities right. We could learn a lot from them.
The morning after we returned to Sandpoint I flew down to LA to see Dr James Berenson. Brilliant, dynamic, 56yo oncologist who has dedicated his career to treating Myeloma patients. Internationally recognized and respected. He's basically a one man Institute. He has his own research lab, runs his own clinical trials. He collaborates with Universities and other centers, but has figured out that staying clear of University and NIH politics makes him more effective and efficient.
Coincidentally, the chemo he recommended was essentially the same as my local oncologist had, and also similar to what I was on 5 years ago, before I got started on the transplant protocol at NIH. Three drugs: Decadron, Velcade and Doxil on days 1,4,8, and 11, followed by 17 days "rest" - a 28 day cycle. I'm getting a single cycle today, before the River trip, and will then get on a regular schedule starting the 17th.
I was unable to get a flight back to Spokane until Friday, so I drove my rental car down to San Diego for a quick visit with my cousins Ralyn and Nate, and friends Tony and Meg. Tony is an inspirational fellow Myeloma fighter/survivor.
Dr. Berenson expects me to be on this current regime for about 6 months, and then he may move me into one of his experimental protocols that are proving effective. (he even has one in development that he thinks will "cure Myeloma"...)
So he's given us some hope, a most welcome addition to the float trip crew.
Phil

1 Comments:
We have been waiting to hear whast the new "plan" is. We wish you all the best as you put this plan into action. Have fun on the river! Keep us posted.
Post a Comment
<< Home