Sunday, February 08, 2009

4th Recurrence (damn!)

From January 11th to 16th I worked in Great Falls Montana. The OR there is busy and well run, with challenging cases. I look forward to being there 1-2 weeks/month through early June. (A bonus find was a new Cajun restaurant there!)

The first couple of weeks I was home zipped by. A high pressure system meant lots of crystal clear days for skiing and flying.

On Friday January 23rd Mary Catherine's 88y.o. mother (Betty) had a fall in an assisted living facility in Seattle, fracturing her pelvis. Though not requiring surgery, it caused a lot of pain with movement. Treatment with pain killers set off a downward cascade: poor nutrition, aggravation of pre-existing cardiac problems, respiratory compromise,...per Betty's wishes the doctors were mercifully unaggressive. Eight days later she succumbed peacefully with her children and 90 y.o. husband at her bedside.
I had to leave the next day for my 9 month post stem cell transplant follow-up in Bethesda, MD, with a side trip to Boston to visit my parents. A cloud settled over that visit when I learned on Tuesday that my blood test showed a significant rise in my IgA. Review of my bone marrow with the Pathologist before my clinic appointment on Thursday confirmed my suspicions: the Myeloma is in the very early stage of coming back! This is my 4th recurrence. Let me tell you it doesn't get any easier to accept. My emotions ran the full gamut the first 8 hours: anger, frustration, fear. I've put myself and my family through so much - for this to happen again! Realistically Myeloma is classified as an "incurable" cancer, though 20-30% of patients who survive transplant achieve sustained remissions of 5, even 7 or more years. (But of course that means 70-80% will relapse.) I'm otherwise in excellent health and still have options: Some combination of chemo agents, perhaps a third transplant somewhere down the road. My doctor at NIH is offering participation in a new protocol involving taking my bone marrow, "activating" the marrow lymphocytes, and re-infusing them. I need to learn more about that as well as find out more about new chemotherapeutic options, protocols at other centers, etc.

Instead of flying back to Spokane after clinic on Thursday, I went to Boise where Mary Catherine, her whole family, and our three kids were gathered for Betty's funeral on Friday. It was the perfect antidote to my "relapse funk". Surrounded by my family and MC's boisterous loving siblings, nephews and nieces, there was music, food, and humorous family stories. Lead by a priest who had known Betty well, it was the most beautiful and meaningful "conventional" funeral I've ever been to.

The next day Mary Catherine and I had perfect weather for the long but scenic drive up through the heart of Idaho back to Sandpoint. The drive was tinged with a hint of bitter irony. We last drove it in October 2005 returning from my first transplant, full of hope that we had put the Myeloma behind us.

A week from now I return to Great Falls for two weeks. Though it's hard to be away from Mary Catherine and Sandpoint, I look forward to the total focus that my Anesthesia work requires. It takes my mind off my medical challenges and the associated uncertainties, and gives me the opportunity, at the end of each day, to feel like I've accomplished something and am still contributing. I find that's become even more important to me now.

My deepest thanks to all of you who read this blog and support me in so many ways. I know these setbacks take their toll on you as well. You can be sure that I will keep fighting this, and living to the fullest.

Love

Philip

10 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Dong: We need to hangout soon. My ankle bracelet is coming off shortly. Sorry about your mother-in-law. Keep up your spirits. Remember, when I shave in the morning, I have to sneak up on the mirror. Professor Shlong

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a disappointment! and just not FAIR.

I NEED you to keep fighting this and living life to the fullest...

love you
nancy

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The very alert grapevine on Sandpoint delivered the news of your recurrence (damn!) last week. Tom and i are disappointed and saddened by that bad news. But when we saw you sitting on the bus, ready to tackle the slopes, the other day, there was PHIL THE HEALTHY, grinning in anticipation of the ski ahead. Also, of course, a grin of welcome and acknowledgment of friends.

So on you go, fereting out new pathways in the maze of treatment plans and attacks.

Glad you warned us off the movie Friday night. We didn't need a downer. Nobody does. We're hoping for better news about your health soon.

With love, Karen & Tom

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Floodtidings brother Phil, I found my way to your blog and the distressing update on DAMNmyeloma. I reckon it's not much support to contemplate all of the terrible stuff you could have but don't have. Probably a better path is to start planning more joint adventures and delights. I will work at cleaning up my video footage of Banzai Pipeline from my B-day trip to Kailu and Oahu... if you have surf music and a good screen I will spot for the beer, mai tais, whatever. I love you brother. ebbtidings, burne

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger robin said...

Hey Phil - Burn sent me to your blog - oh lord - I'm so sorry. But I know that if anyone can beat this thing, you can. Hang in there.

Really looking forward to seeing you and MC next month.

much love,
Robin

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Burne: Count me in for mai tai's and beer, when I get out. Hans Lumpe Pulsifer III

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil and MC,

Bummer news, but I'm convinced you'll eventually beat this...and I will pray for it (and yes, I've been praying for Obama, too). You sound as busy and adventurous as ever; we are looking forward to sharing the summer adventure - Mike is "massaging" his schedule now and I've already got mine set. Will be back in touch soon. Hang in there, both of you, you've got lots of people cheering you on!! Love ya, Kathy (and Mike)

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer, Phil! :-( Our thoughts stay with you, and hope to come up with an excuse to drive up to Great Falls and meet you at the Cajun place. Our sympathy to MC over the loss of her mom.

KO2

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer, Phil! :-( Our thoughts stay with you, and hope to come up with an excuse to drive up to Great Falls and meet you at the Cajun place. Our sympathy to MC over the loss of her mom.

KO2

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Phil...we are so sorry to hear about the latest reccurance of myeloma. You have had ENOUGH already! We are thinking of you and know that you can beat this one more time.
We were also sorry to hear of the death of Mary Catherine's mother. Our thoughts and prayers are with you both.
We look forward to seeing you if you are coming "down south" this summer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home