Rough Month
I wish I could put a "positive spin" on this month's news, but I might as well give it straight.
I started the third cycle of the DVD chemo on the 8th skeptical about my local oncologist's (Dr Grosset's) rosy interpretation of the recent minimal drop in my IgA, because the pelvic mass seemed to be getting bigger, and the right leg swelling was getting worse. I confronted him about this on the 11th. CT of the pelvis and abdomen, and ultrasound of the legs confirmed significant growth of the masses since July, and a blood clot in the deep veins of the right leg. I was started on a blood thinner (coumadin) and Dr Grosset contacted the Myeloma specialist in LA (Berenson), whom I'd seen in July. Grosset got the impression that Berenson didn't have anything reasonably efficacious to offer, and referred me to the local Radiation Oncologist, Dr Kelly. The treatment she offered was extensive and intense, with numerous, irreversible consequences, most notably the effect on the bone marrow of the back and pelvis - probably precluding any future chemo. At this juncture I contacted Dr Berenson myself. He said there were still some chemo options. Unlike many consultants, he seems to prefer being the primary physician rather than working through the local MD. He basically said that I would have to come to LA. All this transpired over the week of the 14th - 21st. Berenson wanted me in LA on the 23rd. Scramble time! Last minute flights are absurdly expensive, but my former Comanche partner, George, accumulates Southwest frequent flier passes by charging materials for his construction business on a Southwest card. I offered to buy a one way pass from him but, in classic George fashion (one of the nicest, most generous people I've known) he insisted on giving it to me. Housing in LA? My mother has some dear cousins, Ralph and Nate, who live in the San Fernando Valley and had previously offered to let me stay with them should the need arise. I reached them by cell phone OK, but they were in the middle of the Bering Sea on a cruise ship headed for Kamchatka! (They're inveterate travelers) Unflustered, they set me up with their son Chip and wife Carrie. I hadn't seen Chip in over 30 years and had never met Carrie.
Everything went smoothly. I started a two week new chemo regime (4 drugs)on the 24th. I had an enjoyable stay with my cousins, moving on the 2nd of October to Ralyn & Nate's, fresh back from their trip. I returned to Sandpoint on the 7th. The big disappointment is that there has been no apparent response of the Myeloma to this chemo either. But Berenson's not out of "tricks" yet. He has a 6 drug regimen planned for my next cycle, beginning the 19th of this month. I can only fervently hope that this one will work!
"It wasn't all bad"-as they say. There were many good times this month. Back on the 6th of September my friend Yvonne helped me do a 50 mile scenic bicycle ride in nearby Newport, WA. On the 8th and 9th I flew my neighbor Fred and Christer down to Sun Valley and back. Christer is designing a "pop up" addition to Fred's daughter's house in Bellevue, ID. Flying saved them a couple of days of driving, and gave me a chance to do some beautiful Fall flying and "show-off" the Comanche. Joe flew Harriet up from Lewiston on the 9th for an overnight visit that included our Monthly "Winos" wine tasting group at our house, and a crash course from Harriet on organizing my photos on the computer and working with Picasa. Bram happened to passing through LA on his way to his Fall job surveying desert tortoises in the Mojave, so we spent an afternoon on an LA County beach, and did some body surfing. My visit with Chip and Carrie coincided with the annual BBQ of a civic group Carrie belongs to. The speaker was a member's husband, Bill Farmer, who has been the voice of Disney's Goofy (and other cartoon characters) for the last 22 years. His story was both fascinating and amusing. Chip had a bicycle I could use for errands and longer rides on the San Fernando Valley's bike trails. I had fun helping Carrie and Ralyn cook gourmet dinners. Ralyn and I came close to perfecting our tempura techniques.I read about five books this month. The best was the recently published "Shop Class as Soul Craft" - sort of a 2009 version of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".
Yesterday, despite record low temperatures in the Northwest, we made our annual pilgrimage to Garfield, WA with Natty to make apple cider. The flight to Pullman, WA was smooth and clear. Each flight now has a hint of sadness, not knowing how much longer circumstances will allow me to fly. So I just take extra big "gulps" of the beauty and pleasure.
Phil

7 Comments:
What a grueling month you've had! We continue to think positive thoughts and hope the next round will show some results. You seem to be using your free time in typical Phil style.
Brenda and Michael
Thanks for the update, Phil. I very much admire your tenacity, grit and positive perspective. As all of your friends do, I hope this month goes better.
Got the heads up from MC in PT and so I kicked the prayer chain up a notch. It's the one from Baha'u'llah I said for the folks alot, in case you forgot:
Thy Name is my healing, Oh My God, and rememberance of Thee is my remedy. Nearness to Thee is my hope, and love for Thee is my companion. Thy mercy to me is my healing and my succor in both this world and the world to come. Thou verily art the All Bountiful, the All Knowing, the All Wise.
Tom and I will be holding you in our thoughts as the "Super Six" hit the highways of your body to do battle with the Myeloma.
Love, Julia
I've been off the grid for awhile, and was so sorry to hear that you have had a setback. I continue to think of and hope for you. All my best,
David Whitcomb
My God, Phil, this truly sucks! Fighting another battle in this war requires lots of energy from you. I hope that all of us who love you, support you, root for you, can provide enough positive energy to surround you while you face these challenges.
Please know that Dale and I are doing our part on your behalf. Feel the love, Sweetheart.
Betsy
Right on!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hans
Post a Comment
<< Home