Thursday, June 10, 2010

Crescendo of Love

Dad loved the idea of a living memorial and hosted his own masterfully from his bed in the living room.

For two days my dad received an endless stream of friends and relatives. People thanked him for his friendship, guidance, inspiration, his passion for life, his unfailing embodiment of the values he espoused. He told each person what they meant to him and generously - and often humorously- dished out parting advice: wear a helmet (and no, it is never too rainy to bike); speak with conviction; give your parents grandchildren; (to the neighbor with the barking dog) "teach him to sing classic rock"; enjoy everything you can NOW, don't wait until it's too late.

He vows to haunt all who fail to exercise, hopes to be re-born in France (where people appreciate good food, quality of life and socialized health care) and promises his wine tasting friends that he'll see about loosening heaven's admission requirements.

He has finished saying his good-byes and is hard at work executing the final phases of the detailed plan he laid out with us and Hospice three days ago. My mom, my brothers, his two sisters and adopted family (including his "water brother" Burne Hill) are all gathered around him and we know that many more are present in spirit.

We feel, hear and thank you for your love and support in these final hours.

We promise to keep you posted via this blog.

-Sarah

7 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah: Please tell Phil Dr. Dong said" on the bridge without wax". He will understand.

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for letting me come and say goodbye... I have found this to be the greatest gift. I admire you all, and hope his actual passing is peaceful and filled with grace. Sarah, I am sorry to have over stayed...but thank you just the same. Thanks also for keeping us updated...
Love to all
lane

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Bill beckwith said...

May the rebirth that Phil hopes for be realized, and may it include endless powder days to boot. I dearly remember his account of, I believe the winter 07/08, in his annual holiday letter, of such days - day after day. It was a tale of pure enjoyment that made me tingle down to my toes...the duck-billed toes of my teleboots that is. May he always get one more turn.

Bill Beckwith

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Lisa Macchio said...

Phil - The days of rafting with you and MC on the Salmon will be some of my fondest of my memories... forever. When I go to the river, when I smell the river, when I speak of the river, you will be part of the river and my words and thoughts and memories of the warmest most enjoyable parts of living. Sitting on the beach, talking until late at night under the stars... the early morning skinny dips in the cold waters of the salmon... Oh I could go on forever and a day... you will be missed... I will always know you and feel you as I walk the rest of my days here on the planet... sad to be without you, but knowing that you will always be a part of me and what I have learned of life through you. Peace to you and all of your family and friends. Know that I love you deeply and will always remember you and your spirit and will carry it with me until the end of my days and beyond. Go on now.. get going and know the ones you leave behind are blessed to have shared some of life with you. All my love, hugs and kisses.. Lisa Macchio

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sarah,

It has been years since I have seen you or your family (the fact that I live at the bottom of the world could have something to do with that) but I want you to know that not only am I thinking of your father and every member of your family during this emotional time, but I am praying as well that this might be a peaceful experience for you all. And while everyone's experience with death is different, I do know what it feels like after going through the same thing with my dad. Eleven years on, and I still miss him like crazy and think of what he would be doing now (probably still hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, biking, traveling, and operating!!!).

This may sound silly, but I think of your dad every time I am cold. I remember when you moved to Colorado and you told me that you were freezing in the car but your dad didn't want to turn on the heat and instead explained to you that being cold is purely psychological. So now, whenever I'm walking the dog in the freezing cold, I think of your dad and try to imagine that it's a hot summer day and I'm not really cold at all. Sometimes it works...most of the time it doesn't! But I think of you and your dad every time!

My thoughts are with you...

Love,

Alison Kovach

 
At 3:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil, If you are dreaming now, I imagine it is of motion--and considering the familiar choices-- flying your plane, biking, white water rafting, kyacking, skiing--it must all be quite exhilarating. Some of our best times with you involved motion, especially flying over the cabin and seeing it from the air, the trip through the Grand Canyon, and wondrous skiing on Schweitzer. We even met for the first time on pitching boats on the lake during 4th of July fireworks over Sandpoint.

Love to MC and kids, family and friends. We are in spirit along for this trip too.

Sharon and Peter

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Edward Lucero said...

A great "Role" model who inspired healthy fatherhood and a ride for life :) So lucky to have known you while living in Idaho. Riding your beautifully chrome motorcycle to fast on a once in a life time ride. Flying over North Idaho with you talking me through a first flight lesson encouragingly and sportive. I remember your healthy soul forever Phill and it has taken seed in me. Thank you 4 being U :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home