Friday, June 11, 2010

Philip Alan Role, 4/10/49 - 6/11/10

Philip died at 7:00 this morning. Punctual, as always.


The memorial service will be held in Sandpoint, ID this Sunday, June 13, 2010, 6pm. Location to be announced shortly.

We encourage folks to scan and email their favorite Phil Role photos for a slideshow (please use roleinator68ATgmail.com), and/or bring copies to leave with us.

11 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Role Family -- I am so very sorry to see Phil go.

Love, Phil Druker.

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear MC, Ted and Family.
Even though we all new this was coming, it is still so difficult to comprehend. George aka Dr. Schlong

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Glenn said...

I came on Phil's Progress at 40 minutes past 7 PDT ... too late to send the comments I'd been thinking about since seeing Sarah's post from June 7th. It was a shock, seeing her post on Tuesday and an even bigger one today. I tried to send a quick comment today but it didn't make it. I'm trying to re-think what I said and what comes to mind is what a great guy Phil was. I hadn't known him long, only first meeting him and MC in August 2006. It seemed we made an instant bond, and I enjoyed, so much, his brilliance, his inspiration, his humor, and his zest for life. Our later visits and correspondence were always a joy and always an inspiration. We had kindred thoughts about bike helmets and I never failed to wear one, even conspired with letters to the editor to further the cause of safety. He was dedicated to safety in many forms and this was another bonding force. He was one of the most courageous and many faceted persons I have ever known. I will miss seeing him again in this life ... will try to exercise more ... and hope we will meet again in the future.

God speed, Phil. My best wishes for tailwinds and CAVU forever,

Glenn

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi MC, Natty, Bram, Sarah and the rest of the family,

Our thougths and prayers are with you as your mourn the loss of your husband, father, brother, son..and for the rest of us, great friend. Phil's zest for life...his passionate beliefs...will live on in us all everytime we exercise, eat chocolate, drink good wine (and bad), and lick a plate. You have a hole in your lives...and so do we.
Love, Kathy and Mike Harrington

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Greg & Jean Brown said...

If only we'd had the long-anticipated pleasure of meeting Phil in person... What an incredible guy.
Greg & Jean Brown

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary Catherine, Natty, Bram and Sarah,

I am so saddened to hear about Phil's death, especially because he was always one of the most alive people I've ever known, with the greatest twinkle in his eyes.

I wanted to share the first memory that have popped into my head today:

The first time we met was at a Spring time out door party at Emory. He and I were the first ones out on the dance floor and he was a wild man. Arms and legs flying! And it was so much fun!

I tell this story all the time, which is what Phil said about "Living Rooms": "When I was a kid, I always wondered why they called it the Living Room. I thought they should call it the Dead room, since no one ever goes in there."

I'm happy to say Phil lived in the real living room, where all the life happened.

I will miss him and his zest for life. I send all my love to all of you on this loss of such a wonderful man. My heart and thoughts are with you.

Love,
Lainy Rose

 
At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear MC, Natty, Bram and Sarah,
I was so sorry to hear the news of Phil's death.
Phil was always a very positive influence to me as I was "growing up", during our years in medical school at Emory.
He taught me many things: the love of good food, beautiful places, hard work and close friends. But, he also showed me that, in life, a person has to chart his own path. And as he did this he created one of the most unique and true lives of anyone I have known.
We will all miss you Phil.
Marc Gradman

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Phil,

First order of business up there is to arrange for some sunshine here in Sandpoint, please. We are tired of the rain. We hope you have some pull with the powers that be.

Mark Savarise, on behalf of everyone in North Idaho

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Lisa Macchio said...

I'm trying to email photos but when I send something to roleinator@gmail.com as stated on the blog, emails bounce back. Any chance someone can send me an email address where I can send photos I have of Phil???
Thanks
Lisa Macchio
lisamacchio@msn.com

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Rachel Schwam said...

Role Family-

Wanted you to know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Phil is in a better place with with no pain. He will rest in peace.

If there is ANYTHING we can do, please let us know. Lodging, Meals, etc... please ask.

Heavy Hearts,
Rachel Riddle Schwam & Family
Bird Aviation Museum & Invention Center

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger sydnie stern said...

I am so sorry that I missed my moment to say goodbye to Phil. I will miss running into him as he rides his bicycle from place to place. Phil never liked to watch the trailers at the theater and in true form he skipped them this time also and went right to the feature.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home