Gathering to Celebrate and Remember
We've secured a location for the Phil Role memorial gathering to be held this Sunday, June 13, 6pm: the Sandpoint Events Center, 102 S. Euclid St. (map) If you can think of any friends of Phil who are likely to have missed our blog posts and emails, please inform them.
As mentioned in the previous post, we encourage everyone - those who can make it as well as those who can only attend in spirit- to share your favorite Phil photos. If emailing digital photos (or stories, messages, etc), please note that I left 68 out of the email address I included in the previous post (I've since corrected the error); the correct email is roleinator68ATgmail.com .
In the short time that has passed since the last post, we have received an impressive outpouring of love & support in the form of calls, letters, blog comments, emails, food, flowers. Thank you for everything.
Speaking of flowers...we are approaching maximum capacity in the floral department...and as beautiful as cut flowers are, we'd love to see your resources and good intentions invested in something more lasting (after all, we are the wife/sons/daughter of the ultimate conservationist). From here on out, in lieu of flowers, we are gratefully accepting donations to a fund to invest in Phil's favorite things: cycling, aviation, wilderness, education.
Much love,
Sarah

4 Comments:
I am sorry for your loss. I worked w/Dr. Role at VMC years ago, he was very entertaining, to say the least. His antics still bring a smile to my face. I remember him asking his patients about what kind of exercise they did. Many responded by telling him how far they walked on the dike paths around the valley.He then would inquire as to when they normally would go on these excursions, quite in detail. Numerous times. when they would come back to an appt. He again would question their excerise habits, and would"call" them on them.He actually would physically make the time to go check on these trekkers. And unfortunatly for them, he would call their bluff. May he rest in peace. Heidi, a nurse who is glad that she met him.
Though I will be unable to join the CelebrationdePhil in Sandpoint tomorrow, my thoughts will be with you. Philip and I met in kindergarten, formed a cub scout den presided over by our mothers and maintained intermittent contact as I meandered through a prolonged adolescence. We we were reconnected later in life through shared geography and my associations with Lorne and Lorna. Philip set a high bar for integrity, earnestness, hard work and loyalty, but was remarkably forgiving to those of us who fell short. Philip was an important part of my life and I feel very fortunate to have known him.
With warmest regards to you all,
Marc Binder
I grew up with Phil's kids. We suffered through scouting together. We were all active to some extent with the bike club. Phil was something special. I was devastated to hear that he had passed. Although I didn't keep in touch, I heard of his struggles from my Dad and I just figured he'd win out. There's no quit in that guy, I said. The world was a better place with him in it. I'm sure he'll be back. All my best wishes
Milo Warnock
milowarnock@q.com
I'll exercise Phil, I promise.
So saddened by Phil's passing...and so moved by how he chose to live and die...would have loved to have a video of his last year to show ALL the oncology world. Perhaps a book of the blog would be an excellent learning tool for medicine and comfort for patients...
Our thoughts are with you all on the eve of his life celebration. Nancy and Jenna Hill.
Post a Comment
<< Home